Two lanes merging to one after roundabout

Options

Comments

• mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The arrows on the road depict "merge in turn", which means exactly that.

Or as previously mentioned, merge like a zip.

OP - I can't see you did much wrong, you obviously met someone on the road who perceived you were trying to cut in.

Let 'em get on with it.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't worry about it, I see that kind of thing half a dozen times a day at least.
    If I drove my car like I had "right of way" or "priority" (when I clearly do) I'd write it off before I even got out of the street (when the first driver just reverses straight off their drive virtually under my front wheels)
    There are a good many cars still driving around that aren't written off only because of my observation, anticipation, and in a few cases, cat like reflexes.

Sometimes I wonder what "The Planners" are smoking, when it is patently obvious that most drivers cannot cope with merging, or even going around an island, yet we see more and more of these situations daily.
    My particular favourite is when you have 4 lanes entering an island that is clearly only wide enough for 2 vehicles to go around, with the most bizarre lines painted over the road that would have you slewing from one lane to the other with 90 degree turns across the front of traffic if you actually tried to follow them.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My particular favourite is when you have 4 lanes entering an island that is clearly only wide enough for 2 vehicles to go around, with the most bizarre lines painted over the road that would have you slewing from one lane to the other with 90 degree turns across the front of traffic if you actually tried to follow them.

All across Shropshire Islands have been "upgraded" to this system to improve traffic flow. All it seems to have improved is the profit margins of accident management companies.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mcpitman wrote: »
    The arrows on the road depict "merge in turn", which means exactly that.

Do they? Can you find an authority for that?

In fact, the HC (rule 134) says "You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed."

There is nothing in the OP's account to suggest a very low speed.

It also says (133): "If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over."

The OP's intended manoeuvre would have forced the Volvo driver to change speed, since 10' is an inadequate gap. Also, he makes no mention of signalling.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    All across Shropshire Islands have been "upgraded" to this system to improve traffic flow. All it seems to have improved is the profit margins of accident management companies.

The problem with islands is that their job is to reduce traffic flow, except they don't in rush hours, because locals all simply get onto the road/lane that flys straight across, and never have to stop, as no traffic can get onto the island to approach from their right.
    So "The Planners" introduce these cross-overs and direct people into the "wrong" lane so as to force the traffic to interact and reduce flow. Fine in theory, but you have 30% of drivers who can't drive anyway, and 60% local traffic who have spent 15 years driving that island, and know which lane to be in to fly across (hint: it isn't the one that The Planners want them to use), and that is what causes accidents.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with Car54. From the picture... the right-hand lane is ending and the arrow instructs drivers to merge to the left-hand lane. So the onus is on the OP to indicate and change lanes safely. The Volvo was wrong to accelerate - but OP should not be causing him to brake. If both are reading the road and being courteous - merge in turn works but as neilmcl said - it doesn't work when knobs are around.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Options
    Trouble with this situation is usually that the outside guy always assumes he can cut in front even if both cars are level, but it's him that's changing lanes.. It's even worse when there's no arrow.
  • robinwales
    robinwales Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    The roundabout before these lanes is like that, and that is part of the problem. I would normally choose to be in the left lane, and would give way to any car ahead of me in the right lane. But the roundabout layout forces you to the right lane if you entered the roundabout from a particular direction.
  • robinwales
    robinwales Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Trouble with this situation is usually that the outside guy always assumes he can cut in front even if both cars are level, but it's him that's changing lanes.. It's even worse when there's no arrow.
    That's true. But I was actually in front of the other car by quite a way.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These are typically splits to improve traffic flow, the lane opens out to two lanes to get two cars at a time round the roundabout and then you join back together afterwards - same at traffic lights. They are not overtaking opportunities, they are traffic optimisations.

The onus is on all drivers to cooperate, rather than compete.

My take on this would be "Where was I in relation to the other car?"

If there was a long queue in one lane and few were using the other, then I would take the quieter lane, (staying in turn just reduces the capacity of the roundabout). However, on merging back, I would be conscious that drivers would be miffed that they had been "overtaken" so I would ensure I would merge by dropping back behind a car - also being aware that some drivers may deliberately block a merge.

If I'm moving alongside other cars, I would assess how they are driving - a granny making no progress is fair game to leave behind, but otherwise I would try and take up the same position as I'd arrived at the junction at.

In terms of the meaning of arrows, I always read it as the arrow indicating the lane which has the lesser priority and there is something of an implication of a give way being suggested. After a roundabout, speeds are going to be low, and any reasonable driver would expect a merge in turn to be implied, but in heavy traffic, things can go astray, and in London all bets of civilised behaviour are off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure