Life Begins at ... 35?

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I input my meter readings and my monthly bill is £106 for gas and elec - but I have no idea if that's high/low/ridiculous? I live alone in a two bedroom semi built in the 50s with GCH and electric shower. ??

I pay in the region of £80 pcm for a 3 bedroom semi. I use a lot of electricity (computers...) but not much gas.
    I need to do Martin's new compare and switch thingy I know.

Better in your pocket than theirs...
    Anyway, off to get into my Halloween outfit :D

Is it b-witching? ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Good morning - happy Halloween :eek:

I don't know where the last few days have gone I really don't. I dressed as Professor Umbridge for the Halloween run, and people thought I was everything from Mary Poppins to Miss Marple to Norman Bates's mother :angry:

I went to an arboretum on Saturday and it was sooo beautiful and very good for the soul. I highly recommend getting out and crunching through the leaves to clear the cobwebs!

I made the decision to Get A Man In to do my wallpapering as I only have three walls to do and can't see me making a very good job of it. I'm getting him to do the whole living room for me, including all the paintwork, plus the one papered wall in the kitchen and the kitchen skirting boards and door. It'll only take him two days and is costing £275 paint included so I'm happy with that. Just need to paint the kitchen ceiling and walls before next Wednesday when he comes. Ah to think in two weeks' time it'll all be done! :D

Housey paperwork is all put away. I'm slightly perplexed by my water bill as it doubled from £15 to £30 p/m in August "based on my usage" (I'm on a meter) but I don't really understand how that can have doubled when there's one less person living in the house? Yes I started working from home in that time so have been making hot drinks etc, but Dad was retired and at home all day too. The number of showers has halved... But then I spoke to a friend in a similar situation and she pays about the same so I'm not too worried.

I've done the MSE energy club thing and can save about £400 a year if I switch. But I'm due a smart meter so I was thinking of staying til I get that as I'll be really interested to have one, but then I don't know if the company I switch to will be able to support it. Hm. Anyway one thing I did notice was my gas usage being really high even over the summer with no heating on. Surely the hob can't cost that much (the oven is electric)...? The only other thing I can think of is the pilot light on the fire, which is on all the time - maybe that adds up? I've turned it off anyway. It's funny how looking properly at your bills really makes you think about what you're using.

I've also cancelled the sport channels and changed to online billing for the TV etc, and cancelled my premium Spotify account which I rarely use. (Incidentally it's £9.99 for one person or you can get a 'family package' of up to SIX accounts for £14.99 - it really annoys me how everything is so much more expensive for single people :angry:)

I've sorted my home insurance finally so I can relax about the place falling down, and I got meerkat movies as well so that's ace.

So my outgoings are now about £500 per month including piggybanking for car costs, dentist, hairdos, etc. Does that seem about right?! That means I should have a good £700 to play with each month, and even after petrol and food that should be loads ... so where does it go?!

I've been tempted by a fitness programme thing my friend is going to do. It's a six week programme of exercise classes and diet, it costs £200 but if you lose 20lbs you get your money back. But because I'm not overweight per se, just at the high end of healthy, I don't know whether losing 20lbs in six weeks would be doable for me. I'm waiting for my friend to get back to me on dates and times of classes etc because I'm not doing it if they're not convenient, and then I'll decide.

I've also seen that there's a new Fitbit out - one that you can take swimming! I already have two Fitbits though :o So I've decided to challenge myself to make the money through ebay. I have several bits of clothes and furniture that might be worth a bit, that I was going to give to charity out of altruism and laziness, but I'm going to try them on ebay first.

I feel I did make quite a bit of progress on last week's list :D Here's what I need to do this week (though I am working Tues evening and Thur and Fri).

- Send engagement card and remaining holiday postcards :o:o
    - Send death cert to union
    - Apply for Santander 123
    - Sort through charity bags for ebay fodder
    - Ebay listings
    - Take charity bags to shop
    - Plan Spanish scheme of work
    - Email schools about this week
    - Sort work resources and data tracking paperwork
    - Pick up cat steroids from vets
    - Take bikes to bike charity place
    - Arrange for bulky waste collection
    - Arrange for housing charity to pick up furniture
    - Plan running session
    - Clear out kitchen
    - Paint kitchen window recesses and sills
    - Paint kitchen ceiling
    - Paint kitchen walls

I'm sure I'll think of more...
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • archersluck
    Options
    Happy Hallowee and new(ish) diary Tete!

I 100% agree with Cinny, you have a great online voice! I used to love your blog even when I had no idea about the crafty stuff, you just have a nice way of writing :)

Had no idea your post teaching job got so horrid, did you stay long in the end? Glad you're out of that now.

Gas and electric sounds very high, mines £31/month in Scotland! Though for a 2 bed flat not semi and we're out all day. No idea about the smart meters but did find this: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3396508/Are-energy-firms-using-new-smart-meters-stop-switching-new-device-installed-time-change-suppliers.html

Sounds a very productive day, are you likely to get many trick or treaters tonight? I'm hoping not so I can eat the sweets...

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    You sound like you're very organised and determined so I'm sure you will achieve everything you've set your mind to!

I will subscribe and cheer you on from the sidelines :)
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 November 2016 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Good morning! Had a bit of a down day on Monday when it seemed that I may only have one day's work per week til Christmas after being led to believe it'd be more like 3-4 and then my new cable not working in my Spanish room so being unable to use powerpoint for my classes.

Yesterday was better - I had a phone call from work about one more day's work (per week) so if that comes off that'll certainly keep the wolf from the door, keeping my fingers crossed for three days though. And I borrowed a laptop with the right connections for my lesson last night and had great feedback from my students via my boss. That was a one off though, I need to try and beg borrow or steal another for next week. I know that they want to do a bit of grammar though so at least I won't be wondering what to teach them and will be able to plan a bit quicker.

Today I need to think of something to do with my runners tonight that won't involve me running about too much as my hip and achilles are still troubling me :( I'll just stand there blowing my whistle like a PE teacher :D

Archers, thanks for that link - it does say at the end that smart meters installed from October this year will be compatible with other companies (presumably as long as they're using smart technology?) but I'm still undecided as to whether to get one put in only to move straight away and have it work as a normal meter again. One to ponder.

I only stayed in teaching to finish my NQT, so til Summer 2015. The bullying I mention in my first post was in an admin job I had afterwards (same company I work for now actually but I'm not office based anymore).

I had NO Halloweeners whatsoever! I got a load of Drumstick Squashies in as well, what a shame they're my faves :D I sat and read The Woman in Black and got really creeped out by some noises outside until I realised it was just distant fireworks :o

I still haven't started painting the blimmin kitchen - I always procrastinate so much over planning lessons that I don't have time to fit in anything else.
    - Send engagement card [STRIKE]and remaining holiday postcards :o:o [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- Send death cert to union[/STRIKE]
    - Apply for Santander 123
    - Sort through charity bags for ebay fodder
    - Ebay listings
    - Take charity bags to shop
    - Plan [STRIKE]lesson and[/STRIKE] scheme of work
    - [STRIKE]Email schools about this week[/STRIKE]
    - Sort work resources and data tracking paperwork
    - Pick up cat steroids from vets
    - Take bikes to bike charity place
    - Arrange for bulky waste collection
    - Arrange for housing charity to pick up furniture
    - Plan running session
    - Clear out kitchen
    - Paint kitchen window recesses and sills
    - Paint kitchen ceiling

- Paint kitchen walls

I've put my (many) priorities in red - as well as painting, I really need to make a start on actually removing the stuff from the house that I've already decided to get rid of. My council charges something like £35 for bulky waste collection and you can have up to six items for that, but you have to itemise them when you book it. I always scout about for anything to get rid of to make the most out of the money! I've got a double mattress, a massive garden bench, an old cobwebby garden chair and a heavy rusty stool thing - the latter two I could take to the tip but they're so filthy I wouldn't want them in the car :o

Right, can't sit about here all day talking about it. As Amelia Earheart said, "The most effective way to do it, is to do it".

EDIT - Bulky waste is only £15 - bargain!
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Whew, good I've got two days of work confirmed so that's a huge relief. It also means I have just two days to get my painting done before the decorator comes to paper the one wall in the kitchen and do the skirting boards. I have the evenings of course but I feel you can't really see what you're doing in artificial light. Argh.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So pleased to hear you have the work. It's horrible worrying when things are up in the air.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Huskyrunner
    Options
    have you tried one of rollers you can buy on your achilles tendon. I injured mine last year (slipping on ice while running) i couldnt get the !!!!!! too heal so i attacked it with a foam roller/tennis ball.

https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/foam-rolling-for-runners-mistakes/

http://m.startfitness.co.uk/more-mile-the-beast-travel-size-foam-roller-mm2352.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwnebABRCjpvr13dHL8DsSJABB-ILJEyVzK12_9mOAgLyLDpM-qtBO82hb-PqfkRYG8V2vehoCELfw_wcB
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I've done the MSE energy club thing and can save about £400 a year if I switch. But I'm due a smart meter so I was thinking of staying til I get that as I'll be really interested to have one,

Why?
    Anyway one thing I did notice was my gas usage being really high even over the summer with no heating on. Surely the hob can't cost that much (the oven is electric)...? The only other thing I can think of is the pilot light on the fire, which is on all the time - maybe that adds up? I've turned it off anyway. It's funny how looking properly at your bills really makes you think about what you're using.

CHECK FOR LEAKS.

I had a leak in the loft. Never smelt a thing, but my bill was abnormally large. Gas service engineer found it.
    So my outgoings are now about £500 per month including piggybanking for car costs, dentist, hairdos, etc. Does that seem about right?! That means I should have a good £700 to play with each month, and even after petrol and food that should be loads ... so where does it go?!

Keep a spending diary. That should soon tell you.
    I've been tempted by a fitness programme thing my friend is going to do. It's a six week programme of exercise classes and diet, it costs £200 but if you lose 20lbs you get your money back. But because I'm not overweight per se, just at the high end of healthy, I don't know whether losing 20lbs in six weeks would be doable for me.

I would doubt it. You'll probably lose 2-4lb the first week, then at most 2lb per week for the rest (most likely 1lb) even if you're very good.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Hi Huskyrunner - thanks for the advice, I do have that exact foam roller actually and a kind of spiky tennis ball too, I just can't bring myself to do it as it's such hard work and it HURTS! That said, both my achilles and hip have been hurting a lot more since my training session on Wed eve (even though I really didn't do much running), and they're aching even when I'm not moving which is a worry. Must up my stretching and rollering game!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport