Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• punamulta
    punamulta Posts: 193 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 2:21PM
    Some good news, I've just received final closing bills and they say refund being processed from my Mid May switch/escape.
    Gas multiplier applied 31.8 I'm in NW london.

Refund received. good luck to other escapees!
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:50PM
    SnowMan wrote: »
    It's 12 weeks since I raised the calorific value issue with IRESA, it's 9 weeks since I supplied evidence to OFGEM of the wrong calorific value issue, and it's 8 weeks to the day since I complained to IRESA about their use of the wrong calorific value for gas billing.

However IRESA have not responded, and although I reminded them a week ago that the complaint remained outstanding, and that it would be a good idea for everyone's benefit if they addressed the issue to avoid the Energy Ombudsman being involved, I have still had no response of any kind.

How much easier it would be if OFGEM had forced IRESA to comply with this license condition for all customers, rather than requiring numerous individuals to take complaints to the Energy Ombudsman.
    IRESA have now finally responded to my complaint that they had used the wrong calorific value of 40.0 in their April bill.

Amazingly they are denying they have used the incorrect calorific value, and just quote the multiplier shown on the bill but not used in the calculation of 31.4 as their justification :(

I've responded setting out the calculation line by line to show numerically how they have used the wrong calorific value of 40.0.

The matter is already with the Energy Ombudsman so we'll see what happens.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    IRESA have now finally responded to my complaint that they had used the wrong calorific value of 40.0 in their April bill.

Amazingly they are denying they have used the incorrect calorific value, and just quote the multiplier shown on the bill but not used in the calculation of 31.4 as their justification :(

I've responded setting out the calculation line by line to show numerically how they have used the wrong calorific value of 40.0.

The matter is already with the Energy Ombudsman so we'll see what happens.

The only advice that I can offer, if you haven't done it already, is to copy your statement to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk pointing out that you believe that Iresa is operating in breach of the policy (Aug 14) relating to the use of calorific values for billing purposes, and SLC 31.4.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Interestingly I've just had a gas reading accepted for the first time in a while.

The transaction screen figure is using, I deduce, a calorific value of 39.7 (all previous transaction screen figures and actual bill figures have been based on 40.0).

I think it should actually be 39.6 based on the truncated rounding, but I can't be certain I'm right here. But regardless some progress if they are not using a blanket 40.0 any longer.

No adjustments for the older consumption figures yet.

I think I'll wait until the next bill comes out to see if the transaction screen figure follows through onto the bill.
    Latest bill out today does indeed use 39.7

So remaining issues are

a) they should be rounding down not up to 39.6
    b) they have yet to make any adjustment for past months billed using a blanket calorific value of 40.0
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 10 July 2017 at 7:48AM
    Latest bill out today does indeed use 39.7

So remaining issues are

a) they should be rounding down not up to 39.6

Forget about rounding up or down, The Regulations require suppliers to TRUNCATE the meter reading to one decimal place.

Truncate . 2. Mathematics, Computers. to shorten (a number) by dropping a digit or digits: The numbers 1.4142 and 1.4987 can both be truncated to 1.4.

It follows that if you look at the daily CVs for your region and billing period and come out with an average of 39.999 then, for billing purposes, a CV of 39.9 should be used.

The relevant Regulation:

“ The average calorific value of gas so conveyed during any such gas period shall be calculated by adding the daily calorific values………… for each gas day in that gas period and dividing the sum by the number of those gas days but so that any amount of less than 00.1 megajoules per cubic metre shall be ignored..””
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What's more, it's the same low priced tariff they were offering before temporarily suspending new applications.

As always, consult a comparison site to ensure it's the best deal for you
    (But do ensure the comparison site includes Iresa as some are still to catch up with this news)

Moaning minnies need not apply!

Applications are via their own website. :money:
  • Savershaver
    Savershaver Posts: 24
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 12:53PM
    Have left Iresa as can't afford to pay out over the odds monthly and lack of response from Iresa was too disconcerting. Await repayment of credit. Thank you to previous posters for sharing experience on refunds and the other experiences shared too which helped me. Never been on forums much at all really but was grateful to get the reassurance here on this. The sort of telling off, name calling here because of sharing an experience on a forum however only serves me not to join in one again. It has never occurred to me to say the like of such to compete strangers online. The conversation was asking for 'feedback' of Iresa. MSE is a business, ML is a businessman, Iresa is a business. Everyones position is different and some of us are just simply, desperate.
    Try to help and glad for help from strangers online in forums. No telling strangers online off, no putting them down or point scoring. Getting by.
  • icharus
    icharus Posts: 103 Forumite
    Wow! I complained about no final bill on the 11th July. I received a fairly quick response to my complaint. They said that the matter was in hand and I would receive a credit refund. On the 19th July I recived the credit refund directly into my bank account.

At long last iresa must be getting their act together! Have I jumped ship too soon? I still need the peace of mind of fast and efficient customer service, however, so I have no regrets!

Can I dare to hope that I am free and clear, and that is the end of my association with Iresa?
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 902
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After months of trying to get my overpayments returned and my Direct Debit payments halved, they finally did this last week.

They halved my Direct Debit by half; this came off my back on the 20th July and as yet has not appeared on the transactions in my Iresa account portal page.

Has everyone else’s, or do they all happen at different dates?
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    After months of trying to get my overpayments returned and my Direct Debit payments halved, they finally did this last week.

They halved my Direct Debit by half; this came off my back on the 20th July and as yet has not appeared on the transactions in my Iresa account portal page.

Has everyone else’s, or do they all happen at different dates?

It usually takes upto 4 working days to appear in the transaction record; sometimes quicker, but this months payment (on 20th) was just before a weekend, so worth checking tomorrow or Wednesday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure