MSE Poll: How many passwords do you have?

Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 17 May 2017 at 4:09PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 16 May 2017

How many passwords do you have?

Cybersecurity has been in the news this week following the terrible worldwide malware attack which hit the NHS particularly hard. It’s a reminder for us all to ensure we’re cyber-safe (see Free Antivirus Software & Scam Spotters for help).

Yet not using the same passwords for everything and changing them regularly is also important. So we wanted to delve into that.

How many passwords do you have, from banks to social media, music-streaming services and more?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    I have included passwords for various work applications that I need to use and for most of these, I am required to change the password every 90 days or so.
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    I'm finding it increasingly hard to remember all the different password requirements for accounts and have recently locked myself out of a couple of important accounts (partly because of a post migraine fog). I've resorted to keeping a little notebook at home with usernames etc and clues to my password that should only mean anything to me. I use an asterisk system to indicate how many characters there are and make a note of special password requirements for that account (e.g. caps and special characters) and the clue is often written in shorthand as well.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    MSE_Sam_M wrote: »
    Poll started 16 May 2017

The MSE Leaders’ Debate - Pick key issues for PM candidates

Cybersecurity has been ...

Has someone been cutting & pasting?
  • Mandelbrot wrote: »
    Has someone been cutting & pasting?

Good spot thanks!
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 6:18AM
    For those who don't want to go as far as professional password manager software, you can password protect an Excel spreadsheet containing your other passwords. When you click File, Save As, there is a Tools drop down and select General Options and it gives the password boxes. There is one password for reading the spreadsheet and another for writing.
    Use Excel 2013 or later as the security is better and keep it on your cloud storage - e.g. google drive or one drive for access from all devices.
    Remember to include numbers and symbols in your passwords - you can replace letters with them in a favourite phrase.
    I'm an IT database professional who has had many different servers to administer and tons of passwords to manage, so a password manager program like KeePass (free I think) is essential.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The link in the OP leads to a poll about spending on wedding gifts!

:huh:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Re-using passwords is an issue, mostly for the reason that if your password gets leaked by one organisation being hacked, someone will go try your email address and password in a whole selection of other popular sites.

This is often how Amazon and Ebay accounts get compromised.

You can check if your email and password have been on a publicised leak by checking at:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Obviously check you are happy with the site before putting your email address in, you can read more here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/About
  • While not scientific, the results of this poll seem to back up my own experience. The more passwords you have to manage, the more likely you are to be an IT professional or power user, and the more likely you are to use best practice techniques for managing them and limiting the potential fallout if one is compromised.

Password re-use is the riskiest behaviour as demonstrated by the recent escalation in "credential stuffing" attacks, where login details stolen from one website are automatically tried against dozens if not hundreds of others.

The risks seem obvious to some, yet others don't seem to get it. Every time you give credentials to a site or service you are trusting them to maintain control of those credentials. If you re-use passwords you are effectively trusting every site to maintain control over the credentials for every other site. The risk goes up every time you do this, and probability is not on your side.

One of my younger relatives simply cannot understand the difference between using a Password Manager with a strong master password, and using that same password on every site. "If they steal your master password they have everything," she says, "So what's the difference?"

The difference is that the Password Manager is a single point of failure that could compromise your entire online life if breached, but which has (hopefully) robust security. But the sites with the re-used password represent hundreds of potential points of failure, any of which would compromise your entire online life if breached and many of which will have terrible security.

It's simply a numbers game, and you need to keep the number as low as possible.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Is anyone else getting a Wedding Gifts Poll when they click on the link in #1?

:(
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport