Pension Options Sanity Check

I currently have a Clerical Medical Individual Personal Pension arranged through an IFA, Current value about £65K with monthly contributions of £800 paid directly from my own company. I've just been going through the paperwork and realised I have 10 different funds with AMC's of between 1% and 2.2% which seems to be a bit on the high side.

I'm not comfortable with the number of funds or the level of charges, especially as the cost of charges don't appear on the annual statements. Am I being unreasonable or would I be better off looking at moving everything to a SIPP, probably as a portfolio of trackers.

If I do decide to move to a SIPP how difficult would it be?

For additional background I'm looking to retire in about 15 years and have 2 Defined benefit pensions that will pay about £13K pa between them - these are being left where they are. I also would like the flexibility to put one off payments from my company into the pot.

Thoughts/inputs gratefully received

Comments

• BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    would I be better off looking at moving everything to a SIPP, probably as a portfolio of trackers.
    If you feel comfortable managing your own investments then it will be very worthwhile consolidating your pensions into a SIPP. You can then invest in a low cost index fund such as Vanguard Target Retirement or Lifestrategy and save at least 1.5% in charges or ~£1,000 each year for the next 15 yrs.

Maybe get hold of the 'DIY Pensions' book to investigate further but it can be very simple so long as you understand the basics.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just been going through the paperwork and realised I have 10 different funds with AMC's of between 1% and 2.2% which seems to be a bit on the high side.

1% to 2.2% (as they had external funds as well as internal) before the fund based discount is applied. CM plans had fund based discounts as well. So, do not forget to include those. For a period, CM plans were very good value for money.
    I'm not comfortable with the number of funds or the level of charges, especially as the cost of charges don't appear on the annual statements.
    1 - the number of funds is probably as its built to meet a certain asset allocation.
    2 - The charges wont appear on statements whether its CM or any other provider. Plus, as mentioned, you are probably not looking at the net charges.
    If I do decide to move to a SIPP how difficult would it be?
    Possibly more expensive. Not going to resolve what you want with charges. Typically requires a bit more work than a personal pension. SIPPs are a more advanced option. If you are struggling with the simpler personal pension, are you sure a SIPP is going to be right for you?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Fox40
    Fox40 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »

1 - the number of funds is probably as its built to meet a certain asset allocation.
    2 - The charges wont appear on statements whether its CM or any other provider. Plus, as mentioned, you are probably not looking at the net charges.

This is probably what goes to the heart of my thinking, the lack of clarity and control. I have a S&S ISA. In that I can see all the units purchased how much for and how many have been sold to cover charges. It is my responsibility to rebalance, which I did last night. More than happy with that

With my pension all I get is a statement of how much I have paid in, a list of funds, the number of units and what it is worth. What I don't see is how much has been taken away so can't judge if the charges are value for money.

I will take @BLB53 advice and have a read of "DIY pensions"
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is probably what goes to the heart of my thinking, the lack of clarity and control. I have a S&S ISA. In that I can see all the units purchased how much for and how many have been sold to cover charges. It is my responsibility to rebalance, which I did last night. More than happy with that

With your S&S ISA, you are selling units to pay charges for the platform. The CM pension isnt a platform. So, it doesnt need to sell units to pay for something as there is nothing to pay. With both the S&S ISA and the pension, the annual management charges are taken within the fund and not shown explicitly.

Rebalancing on an ISA and a pension is the same.
    With my pension all I get is a statement of how much I have paid in, a list of funds, the number of units and what it is worth. What I don't see is how much has been taken away so can't judge if the charges are value for money.

That is because it is a mono charged pension. Whereas your ISA is multi-charge.

Be very careful you dont end up moving the pension because of your misunderstanding about charges and end up paying more than you are at present.

You will find modern administration platforms have more detail than old personal pensions using insured funds. But your need a little work on understanding the different charges and how they are taken. Also, note that insured funds do not have a TER/OCF. That is because the AMC is the OCF. You compare the pension fund AMC with the UT/OEIC OCF.

The CM pension was very good in its day (yours is probably 0.6% net of discount on the internal funds). You can get slightly cheaper PPPs that now (at 0.4%) but the CM pension was retailed when 1% was considered the norm.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure