Royal Mail - lose your credit card receipt - lose your property and your rights?

Over the years I have found the UK postal service, on the whole, to be reliable (lets not debate the unreasonable postage prices and all-too-frequent price increases at this point)- but it has taken one occasion of their failings for me to made painfully aware of the appalling inadequacies of the Post Office and, indeed, the Royal Mail itself.

I recently paid for parcel to be sent, Tracked & Signed, to recipient in Slovak Republic (part of EU) - I attended my local post office in person and paid for the service using my debit card on the POS machine at the counter. I had pre-printed a very clear address label to avoid any issues with handwriting legibility and the post office themselves attached a return address sticker which I filled out at the counter.
At no point did the person behind the counter give me any warnings or draw my attention to some of the data printed on the small piece of paper that was my debit card receipt. (I am not in the habit of sending tracked/signed parcels - sending something abroad is a rare thing for me and on this occasion I thought it best thing to do).

Unfortunately, around a week later, I did what I imagine a lot of people do and shredded a whole bunch of receipts after I had reconciled them in my banking records. Big mistake.

It turned out my parcel never got to the recipient (nearly 3 weeks now). I needed to investigate the situation and quickly realised that I needed my tracking number - this, apparently, was printed on my card receipt - the receipt I had shredded. All is not lost I thought as I have the payment transaction showing in my bank records and I can tell them exactly when I visited the post office, how much I paid and the address the address the parcel was sent to - they MUST have a record of this and therefore will be able to issue me with a duplicate receipt?

No.

In fact the post office told me they DELETE all payment records from customers who visit their counter AT THE END OF EACH WORKING DAY!

So... I rang the Royal Mail customer service department - the local post office may have deleted their own payment records but surely they have a record on their system for the payment for my parcel?? (Remember - the payment receipt data includes my tracking reference...)

No.

Surely, given all the other data I have regards the parcel (date/address etc) they must be able to find the tracking number??

No.

Further insult added when a another member of their customer service team tried to explain that when the parcel is defined as LOST (in my case this will be about three and half weeks after postage date) - I should be able to complete a compensation claim form. Great! I thought... what do I need for that I asked? - Er, your tracking reference number...

So, ladies and gentlemen - we entrust often valuable property to our wonderful post office but in return they have a completely inadequate record-keeping system for that property once you walk away from their counter - should, god forbid, you accidentally lose/destroy that credit card receipt. How can this be acceptable?
IF I had been made aware, as a paying customer, of the significance of some of the digits on my card receipt and WARNED that if I lost the receipt I would lose all the rights to the property I had given them then I perhaps would have made an effort to have kept the receipt under lock and key - maybe in a safe... That little piece of paper has cost me the total value of the item sent and the postage I paid for it.

I cannot believe, as a consumer, that this is right.

During my lengthy chat with Royal Mail Customer Service (which devolved into an argument after nearly 45mins of being given the runaround) - I suggested that IF tracking numbers are a ONCE-ONLY generated piece of data at the point of sale then this reference number OUGHT to be incorporated as part of the transaction reference number that shows up in our bank statements in order that the consumer has some kind of backup? I argued this would be a relatively simple process to invoke but the idiot I was talking to was determined to tell me that "from an IT perspective" this would be an impossible task (this was customer service I was taking to - not their IT department). My proposal that maybe their post offices should retain customer payment records for maybe a few days/weeks was met with equal derision.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You're blaming RM for your own error.

Where did you think the tracking number was, if not on your receipt? How do you think a tracked parcel is tracked?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    For anybody who wants a condensed version: The OP chucked their slip of paper containing their Post Office tracking number away. The parcel is now missing and the Post Office can't retrieve a tracking number.

I think that covers it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You keep talking about a credit card receipt. Why is that?

You happened to pay by credit card, but you would've received a very similar receipt if you had used cash.

It's a receipt - pure and simple - and you have shredded it.

You have shredded your only record of the tracking number, but now you are trying to blame the Post Office and Royal Mail for you carelessness.

Your situation is nobody's fault but yours.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    O
    Unfortunately, around a week later, I did what I imagine a lot of people do and shredded a whole bunch of receipts after I had reconciled them in my banking records. Big mistake.

Do they? I think you may be surprised to learn that a lot of people keep receipts in case of an issues.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    During my lengthy chat with Royal Mail Customer Service.... My proposal that maybe their post offices should retain customer payment records for maybe a few days/weeks was met with equal derision.
    I guess you have not yet realised that Royal Mail and the Post Office are two separate companies.

Really not much point in complaining to Royal Mail Customer Services about your perceived failings of another company.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My proposal that maybe their post offices should retain customer payment records for maybe a few days/weeks was met with equal derision.

I'm not really surprised.
    Keeping any records longer than they need them would incur extra costs for both processing and storage so why do think that they should do this when it is of no benefit to them?
    They give all of the required information to their customers and then leave it up to them to look after their own paperwork.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    At no point did the person behind the counter give me any warnings or draw my attention to some of the data printed on the small piece of paper that was my debit card receipt.

Actually, you would have gotten two receipts, stapled together.

One was the receipt for the parcel, stating weight, destination, method of posting, tracking number etc. Also stating: 'It is important that you retain this receipt as it is your proof of posting'.

The other receipt would have given you the particulars of payment, authorisation code and VAT rate and amount.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Over the years I have found the UK postal service, on the whole, to be reliable (lets not debate the unreasonable postage prices and all-too-frequent price increases at this point)- but it has taken one occasion of their failings for me to made painfully aware of the appalling inadequacies of the Post Office and, indeed, the Royal Mail itself.

I recently paid for parcel to be sent, Tracked & Signed, to recipient in Slovak Republic (part of EU) - I attended my local post office in person and paid for the service using my debit card on the POS machine at the counter. I had pre-printed a very clear address label to avoid any issues with handwriting legibility and the post office themselves attached a return address sticker which I filled out at the counter.
    At no point did the person behind the counter give me any warnings or draw my attention to some of the data printed on the small piece of paper that was my debit card receipt. (I am not in the habit of sending tracked/signed parcels - sending something abroad is a rare thing for me and on this occasion I thought it best thing to do).

It turned out my parcel never got to the recipient (nearly 3 weeks now). I needed to investigate the situation and quickly realised that I needed my tracking number - this, apparently, was printed on my card receipt - the receipt I had shredded. All is not lost I thought as I have the payment transaction showing in my bank records and I can tell them exactly when I visited the post office, how much I paid and the address the address the parcel was sent to - they MUST have a record of this and therefore will be able to issue me with a duplicate receipt?

No.

In fact the post office told me they DELETE all payment records from customers who visit their counter AT THE END OF EACH WORKING DAY!

So... I rang the Royal Mail customer service department - the local post office may have deleted their own payment records but surely they have a record on their system for the payment for my parcel?? (Remember - the payment receipt data includes my tracking reference...)

No.

Surely, given all the other data I have regards the parcel (date/address etc) they must be able to find the tracking number??

No.

Further insult added when a another member of their customer service team tried to explain that when the parcel is defined as LOST (in my case this will be about three and half weeks after postage date) - I should be able to complete a compensation claim form. Great! I thought... what do I need for that I asked? - Er, your tracking reference number...

So, ladies and gentlemen - we entrust often valuable property to our wonderful post office but in return they have a completely inadequate record-keeping system for that property once you walk away from their counter - should, god forbid, you accidentally lose/destroy that credit card receipt. How can this be acceptable?
    IF I had been made aware, as a paying customer, of the significance of some of the digits on my card receipt and WARNED that if I lost the receipt I would lose all the rights to the property I had given them then I perhaps would have made an effort to have kept the receipt under lock and key - maybe in a safe... That little piece of paper has cost me the total value of the item sent and the postage I paid for it.

I cannot believe, as a consumer, that this is right.

During my lengthy chat with Royal Mail Customer Service (which devolved into an argument after nearly 45mins of being given the runaround) - I suggested that IF tracking numbers are a ONCE-ONLY generated piece of data at the point of sale then this reference number OUGHT to be incorporated as part of the transaction reference number that shows up in our bank statements in order that the consumer has some kind of backup? I argued this would be a relatively simple process to invoke but the idiot I was talking to was determined to tell me that "from an IT perspective" this would be an impossible task (this was customer service I was taking to - not their IT department). My proposal that maybe their post offices should retain customer payment records for maybe a few days/weeks was met with equal derision.

Just quoting this awesome self fail.
    Yes it would be great if the PO kept a copy for you,or for example emailed it you.
    Their IT is old and in much need of investment.
    However they dont. They do however provide a receipt (regardless for payment method) with the tracking number included.

Of course only one person loses out through your choice to shred this valuable piece of information.
    All the time you have spent on this rather than bothering to at least track your item?
    I'll leave you to think who the part in red refers to.

additional_support--post_office_receipt.jpg

Does it say just discard this receipt and waste hours later?
  • Captain_Sensible
    Captain_Sensible Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 2:26PM
    ...no separate receipt given to me.
    I lost my POS card payment receipt as I stated - this happens - responders so far seem to believe that they are beyond these errors...
    My argument is - in these circs we should STILL be able to request a duplicate receipt or at least rely on the local post office keeping these basic records for a few days in order that the lost data can be retrieved.
    If readers here still feel that this is an unreasonable expectation and that their lives are so perfectly organised and the concept of actually misplacing or losing a single card payment receipt is so alien then please share your life tips. I would love to have the ability to predict when I am about to misplace or lose items.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ...no separate receipt given to me.
    I lost my POS card payment receipt as I stated - this happens - responders so far seem to believe that they are beyond these errors...
    My argument is - in these circs we should STILL be able to request a duplicate receipt or at least rely on the local post office keeping these basic records for a few days in order that the lost data can be retrieved.
    If readers here still feel that this is an unreasonable expectation and that their lives are so perfectly organised and the concept of actually misplacing or losing a single card payment receipt is so alien then please share your life tips. I would love to have the ability to predict when I am about to misplace or lose items.

You didn't lose it though. You deliberately shredded it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure