Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The members' room sounds fancy! What fun!

Enjoy the cool in the garden - it's such a lovely day, but a bit too hot for me!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thanks earthgirl - I don't suppose either of you want to post examples of your lists on here? To give me a flavour? I'm deeply, deeply, rubbish at cleaning, I never noticed my mum doing any when I was at home (a lot went on in the kitchen I know, but after offering my help endless times and having it refused because I was slow, I used to hide in my bedroom because everywhere else was cold - I've really no clue!).

My parents had a conversation with their next door neighbour where she was complaining that her kids didn't know how to do anything (in the DIY line especially). My parents pointed out that they (and her) were all the authors of their own misfortune, as they never allowed the kids to *do* anything when they were growing up. Never mind actually *showing* them.

I can do *small* jobs in the plumbing/brickying/electrical lines - but that's all self-taught.
    There's definitely an embarrassment factor :o I also wonder about my lovely pest control man having no real sense of smell, and wonder if this is the smell people talk about when they describe rats dying in the walls :eek::o

There is a phenomenon called Olfactory Adaptation and let's face it, he probably smells a lot of dead rats since he kills them for a living...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    The American Dream exhibition sounds fantastic. :) Just looked it up online.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    themadvix wrote: »
    Enjoy the cool in the garden - it's such a lovely day, but a bit too hot for me!
    Yep, there are still a lot of cool areas in the garden, it's *very* pleasant out there :)
    ZTD wrote: »
    My parents had a conversation with their next door neighbour where she was complaining that her kids didn't know how to do anything (in the DIY line especially). My parents pointed out that they (and her) were all the authors of their own misfortune, as they never allowed the kids to *do* anything when they were growing up. Never mind actually *showing* them.

I can do *small* jobs in the plumbing/brickying/electrical lines - but that's all self-taught.
    Sorry you've faced that too, Z :(

As for livestock in the house, I've been told that my grandad used to release stuff he'd caught in the kitchen when I was a toddler, and let me run around after it :rotfl: big stuff he'd caught in lobster pots :rotfl: no wonder I loved him so much :D

There is a phenomenon called Olfactory Adaptation and let's face it, he probably smells a lot of dead rats since he kills them for a living...
    I think you're right, Z!
    AlexLK wrote: »
    The American Dream exhibition sounds fantastic. :) Just looked it up online.
    It was brilliant, Alex - we're going to go to the Japanese one too, the northwest Native American one, and I've just seen details of the Scythian one (I didn't know the Scythians came from Siberia???).

Today, it needs to be a proper work day, I've had a fair time off:
    - put washing machine on.
    - use dehydrator
    - open post (it does build up :D)
    - tidy and clean, pest control guy is arriving c 5pm.
    - download photos to computer
    - send complaint to Waitrose (onions I bought on Saturday were rotten!!!).
    - open post office easy saver acc
    - cat blog, other blog
    - Old Style thread summary
    - send Diana photos to my sister.

Thats 10, uh-oh, and some are a bit big - I'll see how it goes.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    [STRIKE]- put washing machine on.[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- use dehydrator[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- download photos to computer[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- send complaint to Waitrose (onions I bought on Saturday were rotten!!!).[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- send Diana photos to my sister[/STRIKE]

- cat blog, other blog

Okay, not bad, but some of it I've only done because I wanted to do this update :rotfl:
    Save
  • Karmacat
    Waitrose got their act together really quickly - I'm used to the level of refund given for problems during online shopping, I suppose, which are *more* generous than in person, I think - so now, email with attached pics of mouldy onions sent, email acknowledged, refund agreed to ... and a gift voucher! Didn't expect that. So I'll have quite a bit of food shopping I can do tomorrow - between the nectar points, the money off vouchers, the refund and the gift voucher, thats a week's food shopping - not to be sneezed at.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Not to be sneezed at indeed~~result :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KC, saw this offer and thought you might be able to use it? I'm using it to get myself discounts on wine, basically it's loads of Morrison's points for buying £50 John Lewis vouchers (that can be used at Waitrose). Effectively 12% off Waitrose if you have access to both supermarkets.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6250-morrisons-points-when-you-purchase-a-50-john-lewis-waitrose-currys-ms-gift-card-125-return-on-spend-morrisons-instore-maximum-100-morrisons-vouchers-on-a-800-gift-card-spend-2709954
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    [STRIKE]- put washing machine on.[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- use dehydrator[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- download photos to computer[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- send complaint to Waitrose (onions I bought on Saturday were rotten!!!).[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- send Diana photos to my sister[/STRIKE]

- cat blog, other blog

Okay, not bad, but some of it I've only done because I wanted to do this update :rotfl:
    Save

Hehe well done anyway!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    KC, saw this offer and thought you might be able to use it? I'm using it to get myself discounts on wine, basically it's loads of Morrison's points for buying £50 John Lewis vouchers (that can be used at Waitrose). Effectively 12% off Waitrose if you have access to both supermarkets.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6250-morrisons-points-when-you-purchase-a-50-john-lewis-waitrose-currys-ms-gift-card-125-return-on-spend-morrisons-instore-maximum-100-morrisons-vouchers-on-a-800-gift-card-spend-2709954
    Ed, thanks for this! I could use it next week if I go to Southport with my brother - we used to have a mini Morrisons here but it closed. Appreciated that you popped in to run it by, ta muchly. I'm hoping from next month I'll be doing a lot more deals like this.
    earthgirl wrote: »
    Hehe well done anyway!
    Tee hee, thanks!

I did do quite a lot of cleaning in the end - unfortunately, I haven't seen the last of the rats, all but one of the pieces of bait disappeared this week - it's a possibility that they sniff yummy choccie flavours on another rat's coat, and follow the trail back to the food source :eek: A fortnight till the next appt.

Never mind, orf to bed now :kisses3:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family