BA flight change, where do I stand?

GlasweJen
GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
We booked flights direct through BA. The original flight was departing at 07:55 from GLA to LHR terminal 5 then leaving LHR terminal 3 90 minutes later to LAS.

The second leg has now changed and we will depart from LHR at 15:50.

I'd rather hang myself than spend upward of 6 hours stuck in Heathrow. I've contacted BA and asked them to change us onto a 12:15 flight from LHR to LAS that was showing on sky scanner but we were told that flight doesn't exist. I then asked them to change the GLA-LHR flight to the later one at 9:50 which although isn't ideal as we would rather be in Vegas at least we have 2 hours less time in Heathrow but they refused.

Is there anything I can do?

ETA the flight date is 25/03/17

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    according to the BA website there is only the 1550 direct flight that day all the others are connecting flights

surprised they wont let you change to the later flight from Glasgow
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,829
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Your minimum connection time is 90 minutes, so if one or other flight moved the wrong way by just 5 minutes it would be an illegal connection and hence the rebooking.

The 12.15 flight may be operated by American Airlines rather than BA.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Forumite
    I wouldn't mind, I've even been looking at options flying out of Edinburgh or moving to the day before. 6.5 hours in Heathrow is not how I want to start my honeymoon! BA are completely unsympathetic, if I try to book now it's giving me the 9:50 out of Glasgow as an option then flagging up that it's a 4.5 hour "long stop over" not as long as the one I'm being made to endure!
  • A good technique is to hang up and call another agent. Fingers crossed you'll have more luck.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Try and get yourself upgraded to the first class lounge at Heathrow. Tell them it's your honeymoon. That won't be a bad place to spend a few extra hours.
  • JReacher1 wrote: »
    Try and get yourself upgraded to the first class lounge at Heathrow. Tell them it's your honeymoon. That won't be a bad place to spend a few extra hours.

Is there any evidence of such claims working in the last decade?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Your minimum connection time is 90 minutes, so if one or other flight moved the wrong way by just 5 minutes it would be an illegal connection and hence the rebooking.

The 12.15 flight may be operated by American Airlines rather than BA.

I have never heard of an illegal connection, does that only apply in the UK?

I have had many connection times less than 90 minutes but have never connected in the UK
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    JReacher1 wrote: »

That won't work for a number of reasons, not least because the Galleries First lounge and the Concorde Room are both in Terminal 5 and OP departs from Terminal 3.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    photome wrote: »
    I have never heard of an illegal connection, does that only apply in the UK?

I have had many connection times less than 90 minutes but have never connected in the UK

There are minumum connection times for every airport/ terminal combination based on domestic/ international flying. If a flight time changes and causes the connection time to drop below the MCT, the flight gets flagged up and the itinery needs to be changed. At some small airports the MCT can be as low as 20 minutes, so a connection that was dropping from 90 minutes to 85 wouldn't cause an issue.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055
    Forumite
    JReacher1 wrote: »

You could tell them you are the Queen of Sheba as it won't make any difference and you would be wasting your time even considering such a 'request'.
    silvercar wrote: »
    That won't work for a number of reasons, not least because the Galleries First lounge and the Concorde Room are both in Terminal 5 and OP departs from Terminal 3.

There is also a Galleries First in T3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport