Help! Talk Talk Cancellation Fee

Comments

• Nope, when i rang them to cancel i expected to have to give 30 days notice but they said they would cancel it straight away and leave me with no phone line or broadband...little did they know that i had already had Virgin fitted, when i told them this the girl immedialtey backtracked and said it would take at least 7 days to cancel it, i questioned what she had told me 2 minutes before that, she got embarrased and cancelled it straight away.
    This is exactly why i'm loathed to give them anything putting the technical problems aside, any company that tries to pull a fast one like that just is'nt worth bothering with.

I have itemised phone bills from June 2010 which shows calls to TT but i'm sure i spent more time on the phone to them than my bills say.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So you didn't inform them in writing then that you were cancelling within your minimum term due to their breach of contract?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman wrote: »
    So you didn't inform them in writing then that you were cancelling within your minimum term due to their breach of contract?

I sent a brief letter in the post for which i recieved no aknowledgment, but this was after the phone call i described earlier, therefore after they had cut me off and waved bye bye. I will have an electronic copy of it saved somewhere.
  • Still arguing the toss with them, have sent one letter already and received a standard response from them yesterday "charges are valid and cannot be waived...." I will be sending the following response in a day or so, it might be useful for someone to use as a basis for their complaint letter to talk talk or anyone else?

Dear Mrs xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for you response, dated xxxxxxxxxxx, to my letter regarding charges made to my account.

Whilst I appreciate that under normal circumstances you would be within your rights to charge a cancellation fee I would still dispute the legitimacy of the charges in this instance. Had I been receiving the service I was paying for I would not have had reason to cancel my contract. I realise that faults occur and these can take time to rectify, however, it is not reasonable to expect a customer to wait months and still have the issue unresolved. OFCOM states on their website that a time scale in excess of 8 weeks is unreasonable and cause for complaint. I would also like to draw your attention to the following statement from OFCOM;

“If the contract and any early termination charges are fair, the supplier may insist on consumers fulfilling their commitments or paying the charges.
    This does, of course, work both ways.
    If the supplier is unable to fulfil its own commitments, it may be required to pay compensation to consumers”

Your commitment was to provide me with the contracted service and I was contracted to pay for this service. I paid throughout the time my account was open, although for a significant time I was not receiving the service as set out in my contract. Talk Talk did not fulfil its commitment and therefore broke its side of the contract. It should really be me asking for compensation, and not Talk talk.

I would also like to point out that I was a customer of Talk Talk previously at this address. Having suffered the same issues then as I have done recently I cancelled my contract with you. At that point you attempted to charge a cancellation fee, I queried this for the exact same reasons I am querying the charge on my most recent account and it was immediately waived. As Talk Talk admitted they had no clear grounds to make this charge then I would be grateful for an explanation of why you feel you do now, as a clear precedent has already been set by yourselves. I am also very disappointed that you felt the need to refer my account to a debt collection agency before I had received a response to my initial letter of complaint which has subsequently incurred extra fees on the account.

I would appreciate it if you could investigate the points raised above and respond as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Will post an update when i get a response but i'm expecting the same drivel i got in response to my first letter. Not sure where to go from there, Watchdog perhaps?
  • Here is a summary of my TalkTalk experience:

Late November ordered broadband from TalkTalk.
    Promised connection before Christmas.
    Late December had received no connection or communication from TalkTalk.
    Spent three weeks emailing and phoning TalkTalk to find out why I had not been connected.
    Mid-January eventually told that my order had been cancelled by TalkTalk and I would have to re-order if I wanted a connection.
    Told them I would not re-order as I couldn't trust them to give me a connection so would go with another service provider.
    Early February connected to BT broadband.
    Mid-February received a £125 contract breakage fee from TalkTalk.

Despite protesting that I shouldn't pay a contract breakage fee for a service I never received they still want to charge me. Their terms and conditions explicitly state that there is no 'disconnection fee' for up to 30 days after a service is received. Is there any difference between a 'disconnection fee' and a 'contract breakage fee'? In any case, can I be charged a contract breakage fee for a service that was never provided and an order which was actually cancelled by TalkTalk, not me?

Thanks,
  • madassmax
    madassmax Posts: 28 Forumite
    I can't see how they can charge anything if you were never connected? Did they tell you why they cancelled the order?
  • No-one could give me a definite answer. One advisor said it might be a fault on my line and another said it could be an administrative error on their part. I have subsequently found out that the order was cancelled almost a month before they finally told me. During the course of that month I emailed and phoned about 15 times and no-one told me my order was cancelled - I just got passed from one department to another. You can see why I went elsewhere for broadband and got connected within two weeks.
  • madassmax
    madassmax Posts: 28 Forumite
    Letter from Talk Talk arrived today in response to the one a few posts above.

Having carefully checked my account they have admitted that they did have a reasonable amount of time to rectify the fault. As a result of this they have waived the contract breakage fee and called off the debt collectors :j

Whether this is the real reason or whether its because they had already set a precedent for themselves when they waived it on the previous account i don't know.

It just goes to show, if you think your right then fight them for it, a few hours of my time and a couple of stamps has saved me £60. But to be honest it's not so much the money (although thats an obvious bonus) it became more of a principle thing.

So take note Maisy, it sounds to me like they have no right to ask for a breakage fee from the info you've posted, send a complaint letter if you are in the right.
  • This thread has proven very interesting for me. I'm currently with TalkTalk and planning to move to BT. This is because TalkTalk originally set-up Dynamic Line Management on my connection profile which halved my speed due to unreliability on the line. After several months of phone calls, and calling an engineer out who refused to do anything other than charge me £30, it ultimately was the TalkTalk Representative on this forum that deactivated the Dynamic Line Management which brought my speed back up, but not to the full amount, and the unreliability on the line is the same.

However, I'm only something around 7 months through my 18 month contract. So I have to suffer for many more months on TalkTalk.

Not only that, but accessing my account on their website was the most unreliable problem. For some reason, they kept wiping my login password so I had to reset my password. Not only that, but the password reset feature was just as unreliable. Because of this, I had to set it up so that I had to have paper bills at the price of £1.25 a time.

I wonder how much TalkTalk would charge me for cancelling if I attempted to switch this month??
  • this thread is also very interesting to me. I have an 18 month contract with TalkTalk for line rental, phone and broadband which started in December 2010, and have been paying by Direct Debit for this service since. 10 days ago they disconnected my service so that when you phone in there is a message that says 'the number you are dialling is not receiving incoming calls' and when I try to phone out instead of hearing the dialling tone, I only get an engaged tone.

Having spoken to nearly 20 people at TalkTalk, they say that they made a mistake in disconnecting me but that I have to sign up for a new 12 month contract, and they will get me reconnected hopefully be the middle of April, and that it will be to a new number!

As I already have a contract with them with nearly 15 months left on it I don't understand why they cannot just reconnect me back to my old number. I accept that mistakes can happen. All I asked was that it should be rectified urgently which they are not doing, making the whole situation far worse.

If I tried to get out of the contract I am sure that they would be charging me. How can I get them to provide the service that they should be providing under my existing contract?
    Can anyone help please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport