HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Comments

• I appreciate the fact that you came back on to explain Barbeduk :)
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    All of you who like the girl, get Headhunters. Very clever indeed

That's a Norwegian movie, right? But doesn't have Noomi Rapace in it, which is a pity but then as she's Swedish perhaps that's too much to expect.

I'll check it out, anyhow. Nothing like a personal recommendation! :)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Speaking of roasts are you still buying sandwich meat? Getting an extra large roast, or a second to put in while the oven is on if I see a nice offer, slicing and freezing (not all in one block!) makes me very happy when I remember.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    theoretica wrote: »
    Speaking of roasts are you still buying sandwich meat? Getting an extra large roast, or a second to put in while the oven is on if I see a nice offer, slicing and freezing (not all in one block!) makes me very happy when I remember.

With my beef roast I slice up LO meat into strips, freeze them and use them for stir fry. I love stir fry as a tiny amount of meat is enough. I keep a little back (raw) of all the veg from the weekly shop (carrots, mushrooms, cauli, broccoli, cabbage, peppers whatever I have in).

The OS board has heaps of ideas for 'rubber chicken'. I buy Aldi's FR chickens.

Aldi and Lidl have great gammon joints (also on offer in Sainsbury's this week) which I do in the slow cooker. Great for meals or slicing for sandwiches. Stock is super made into lentil soup.

Pork shoulder is often cheap (again in Sainsbury's this week). cooked slowly, I use this recipe
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/6-hour-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder
    It's yummy and I have loads LO for slicing or even more stir-fry!!
  • immie
    immie Posts: 239 Forumite
    Sorry if I'm repeating what others have already said... (I haven't read the whole thread)
    Do you have a Poundland or 99p Store near you? I think non-food items are extortionate at supermarkets, they have lots of stationery/ crafty items too:D Or perhaps a Wilkinsons?
  • immie
    immie Posts: 239 Forumite
    They also have Schloe and ginger beer, books and stuff for birthday presents! I did nearly all of my Christmas shopping at poundshops:rotfl:
  • bella2121
    bella2121 Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    Hi s and s

I've read your thread from start to finish, I'm pretty shocked at how nasty and judgemental some people have been, I dread to think what they'd say if I started a thread lol

The main thing is you, oh and your kids are happy, you are making changes to stay within your means and if you want a couple of bottles of wine a week then that's is your entitlement, you are entitled as a hard working member of society to have something that you enjoy and you look forward too.

I agree there's a difference between just existing or actually living life.

Anyways there's my rant over keep up the good work, ignore the negativity, ill subscribe to follow how you are doing xxx
    ***** on the road to debt freedom *****

Baby girl due September 2013
  • The roasts I buy are so tiny there's usually nothing left! I do save chicken to make a chicken pie and I did find a good load of ham at Aldi for around £1.20 so I froze half and it's lasted us 2 weeks.

Maman I did see the Aldi chickens, they were a fiver but I got a similar bird from Asda for £4. I'm comparing now you see! :D

Bella2121 - thank you. Hope I can do you all proud!

Do you like my avatar by the way?
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The roasts I buy are so tiny there's usually nothing left! I do save chicken to make a chicken pie and I did find a good load of ham at Aldi for around £1.20 so I froze half and it's lasted us 2 weeks.

Maman I did see the Aldi chickens, they were a fiver but I got a similar bird from Asda for £4. I'm comparing now you see! :D

Bella2121 - thank you. Hope I can do you all proud!

Do you like my avatar by the way?

Could you not have found one with at least a dozen full glasses? :rotfl:
  • On the DVD side. Type in DVD joblot and then see what joblots are near you. You can get 10/12/15 for less than £10 if you are lucky enough. I once got 20 for just over £2!!!!! Worth a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure