PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy agreement template

Comments

• tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2009 at 6:34PM
    Tenancy agreements also available from LL&T solicitor Tessa Sheppersons site( she also drafts for LawPack) and from legal stationers Oyez.

OP - membership of LL Law and LL associations etc is tax deductible ( as is the cost of your AST) and gets you discounts on your LL insurance premiums, plus a fairly straightforward way of keeping up with changes to the rules and regs. Do note however, that even the RLA gets it wrong sometimes ( see N79s comment above) so its worth joining more than one.
  • sorry, i bet i sound really dumb, but i haven't got anything that says new thread. xxxxx
  • N79 wrote: »
    Since you have dragged up an old post (presumably to advertise based on your username?) I thought I would point out that these are the same "professionals" who thought that taking 2 months rent at the start of a tenancy was not a deposit. :rolleyes:

No lies, I think my user name and the fact I said "Being from the RLA" shows I'm not trying to be covert in anyway.

I simply want to highlight that the RLA doesn't charge £75 for an AST.

On the subject of 2 Months Rent in advance, much like 1 month rent in advance , is not a deposit, but as it sounds, 2 months rent in advance.

At this point, as far as I know, that is being challenged and so we are waiting to see if some form of case law comes to light.

Regards,

John

"I can only be nice to one person each day and today isn't your day - in fact, its not looking good for tomorrow either"
  • clutton wrote: »
    i get sooooo frustrated at new landlords who come on here on a weekly basis asking for free tenancy agreements

when will they ever learn that the ONLY time you will know if your agreement is a legal document is in court - you will be trying to get a tenant out who has not paid you rent for months and trashed your house - and the judge throws out your case because your tenancy agreement is rubbish

if you are new to this business - and it is a complex business - then either join RLA or NLA and do some reading about your legal responsibilities and get their versions of a tenancy agreement - at least you will know it comes from an accurate source

joining such a professionals body (which is tax deductible and which gives you cheaper house insurance, legal help line, all the docs you can possibly want) shows tenants that you are a proper landlord - not an amateur trying to do things on the cheap

there are 69 different pieces of legislation covering landlord and tenancy matters......

can you post up the templates here then? for free? or are you part of this 'organisation'?
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    rla_john wrote: »
    On the subject of 2 Months Rent in advance, much like 1 month rent in advance , is not a deposit, but as it sounds, 2 months rent in advance.

At this point, as far as I know, that is being challenged and so we are waiting to see if some form of case law comes to light.

Regards,

John

John - I'm glad that you can take a joke!

But I can't let that part of your post pass. Yes, two months rent in advance is two months rent in advance - we all agree on that. Under such circumstance the T's next payment is due before the start of month 3. However, the RLA's old avoid TDS weeze of taking the first and last months rent in advance is not the same thing!

Maybe the RLA's original scheme will be proved right in the but I doubt and you (the RLA) doubt it.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2009 at 5:20PM
    rla_john wrote: »
    No lies, I think my user name and the fact I said "Being from the RLA" shows I'm not trying to be covert in anyway.

I simply want to highlight that the RLA doesn't charge £75 for an AST.

Regards,
    John
    From the RLA website :
    "We have previously issued advice to members to ensure that advance payment of rent is properly described as such and documented. However, it has now come to our attention that the Courts are beginning to carefully scrutinise advance payments of rent and that judges may treat it as a disguised deposit which ought to be dealt with under one of the statutory tenancy deposit schemes. This could mean that you could have to pay three times the amount penalty if you have taken advance rent, and not protected it under one of the statutory schemes should the Court decide to treat it is a deposit. Whilst the RLA still believes that an advance payment of rent is not a tenancy deposit, judges are appearing to regard it as an attempt to avoid the legislation. As a result, if you apply for possession using Section 21 against an assured shorthold tenant, at the least you could have to attend Court to explain the situation and persuade the judge that the money you received genuinely was an advance payment of rent and not a tenancy deposit. If you bring action based on rent arrears you could face a claim by the tenant that the advance payment of rent was not that at all but was a deposit. This could mean that the tenant could then try to counterclaim for the penalty to avoid rent arrears. Either way, you could face delay and anxiety in obtaining possession. It may well be the case in time that the position is clarified in favour of the landlord. We are however, issuing a strong warning to landlords about the problems which could be encountered by you. Our advice therefore is not to take an advance payment of rent from the tenant because of the potential uncertainty and problems you might face."

My highlighting.Guess it comes as a shock to the RLA that they don't make the rules on this one.

Trying to help your members effectively circumvent the law on tenancy deposits is pretty disgraceful : LLs who seek to do so deserve trouncing via the courts IMO Will the RLA help those LLs who end up in difficulty because they acted on the RLA's original "professional advice" btw?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bungle4x4 wrote: »
    can you post up the templates here then? for free? or are you part of this 'organisation'?

Clutton is a professional landlord, and a very helpful one at that. Why should Clutton give you something for free that she has paid for? Join the landlord's association, you will excellent get value for money by all accounts.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Clutton is a professional landlord, and a very helpful one at that. Why should Clutton give you something for free that she has paid for? Join the landlord's association, you will excellent get value for money by all accounts.

why not though. this is a money saving forum....
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    bungle4x4 wrote: »
    why not though. this is a money saving forum....

Money saving not breaching copyright, "stealing" others work and removing the advatages of a professional relationship.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    bungle if you start off learning to be a LL via a cheap-skate method - god help your tenants farther down the line....

if you REALLY want to learn - read www.landlordzone.co.uk and www.singingpig.co.uk, www.propertytribes.co.uk join PIPA forum; then read till your eyes turn red and even then - employ an agent to hold your hand for the first 6 months....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure