unhappy about interview

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why should I have provision. - Because you have job commitments? I have friends who can drop and collect my son if needed. But if he was sick then as his mum I couldn't and wouldn't expect anyone else to look after him. - So you wouldn't go into work? Which is really the whole point isn't it. you also have a commitment to feed 300 children... The job is term time at his school. So even inset days are days off for me. I have worked for 2 years as lunchtime assistant. He has had only 1 day off for sickness in 2 years

You're naïve if you think children wont get ill. It's just a matter of luck and time.

Even if you're very lucky - your employer wanted someone with a more structured plan in place.

You're asking for the job to fit around you, when you need to fit around the job.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Or had kids at school? Most people don't give up their career when kids turn 18?

Clearly they feel you need to have access to emergency childcare, just incase.

Do you work 'full time' now?
    I work 5 hours a week. Lunchtime. The job was 15 hours 11-2.
    Even if I had a child minder. I couldn't send a sick child to them if they were contagious. I am not looking for a full time career just a few hours now my child is at school in a job that is at his school. Doesn't matter now.
    Can't do anything else. Carry on with my current job which doesn't seem to have a problem with my childcare situation
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Why should I have provision. I have friends who can drop and collect my son if needed. But if he was sick then as his mum I couldn't and wouldn't expect anyone else to look after him. The job is term time at his school. So even inset days are days off for me. I have worked for 2 years as lunchtime assistant. He has had only 1 day off for sickness in 2 years
    And therein lies your problem. Yes, if you can prove the question was asked, it certainly is discriminatory and against the law. But you also aren't allowed days off to look after such children. Are best, a few hours to arrange other care - not to do it yourself. The employer would be perfectly fair in refusing you time off to care for a sick child, and sacking you if you did it!

Employment is not a pick and mix counter where you turn up when it suits you. You have to put your employment first and make arrangements for any other responsibilities. If you can't do that, then that is your problem, not the employers.

And if you have already failed to attend work in the past for this reason, it would actually become a perfectly fair question to ask based on your performance to date - and equally, potentially a fair reason to dismiss in the past, so you have been fortunate if they had chosen not to.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You don't even know if that was the deciding factor. As for expecting to be told before going to work, its not ideal but certainly not unfair (IMO).

I'd concentrate on being as positive as possible, ask for feedback, maybe express interest in future roles.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite

And what do you suggest OP does about it?

"The interviewer asked me a question they shouldn't."

"We did not. We can produce our interview notes to show what was asked. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?"

"Erm ..."
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just because he has been sick once In two years doesn’t mean he won’t get sick in the future. As bad as it sounds it needs saying
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• IAmWales wrote: »
    And what do you suggest OP does about it?

"The interviewer asked me a question they shouldn't."

The advice in the link I gave seems good to me.
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    I’m going to go against the grain here, I think that the employer has acted unprofessionally.

The question regarding childcare if you have a sick child is potentially discriminatory against you on the basis of your sex - would they have asked the same question of a man? It’s not unreasonable that working parents don’t have a backup plan for sick children. Either myself or my husband has to take the day off if our son is ill and can’t go to nursery. Not everyone has family members or friends “on tap”! In addition, employers should expect that there may well be times that staff can’t come in due to emergencies. That is not limited to employees with children.

Every employer I have worked for has a policy that when a job offer is made, the name of the successful candidate is not released until they have accepted the offer and until the unsuccessful candidates are contacted. This is to prevent the situation that you have described.

However, realistically, I’m sure the job offer went to the candidate who gave the best interview and had nothing to do with the childcare question. You’re not going to get a resolution that you’re happy with, but in your situation I would point out the flaws in their recruitment process.
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    And therein lies your problem. Yes, if you can prove the question was asked, it certainly is discriminatory and against the law. But you also aren't allowed days off to look after such children. Are best, a few hours to arrange other care - not to do it yourself. The employer would be perfectly fair in refusing you time off to care for a sick child, and sacking you if you did it!

Employment is not a pick and mix counter where you turn up when it suits you. You have to put your employment first and make arrangements for any other responsibilities. If you can't do that, then that is your problem, not the employers.

And if you have already failed to attend work in the past for this reason, it would actually become a perfectly fair question to ask based on your performance to date - and equally, potentially a fair reason to dismiss in the past, so you have been fortunate if they had chosen not to.

Honestly, your post is pretty outrageous, and thankfully the law disagrees with you.
    All employees have the right to time off during working hours for dependants, this time off is intended to deal with unforeseen matters and emergencies. There is no legal right to be paid; however some employers may offer a contractual right to pay under the terms and conditions of employment.

This is from ACAS.
    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3235
    https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants
    https://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/time-off-for-dependants-leave/

Children and dependents come first and any employer worth their salt will know that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure