Enhanced tax free cash – any reasons not to take it?

Options
An old policy with enhanced tax free cash option of nearly 40%, instead of the usual 25% - is it a ‘no brainer’ not to take it?

There won’t be a specific need for a lump sum, the whole amount will be used one way or another to provide an income in retirement, either through an annuity, a purchased life annuity, ISAs, or drawdown (or all of these).

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    What is the reduction in annual retirement income if you take the enhanced tax free lump sum? Is it a DB pension or a DC pension with a Guaranteed Annuity Rate?
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    As once you take a pension, your contribution limits are slashed, why not make a contribution equal to the 25% tax free before taking the tax free amount, and you will also get tax relief on that contribution.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    What is the reduction in annual retirement income if you take the enhanced tax free lump sum? Is it a DB pension or a DC pension with a Guaranteed Annuity Rate?
    Thanks for replying. It's just a DC pot, with no GAR or other benefits other than the Enhanced tax free cash amount. (It's not an actual percentage, it's a fixed amount, but works out to be just over 38% of the pot value.)

Any reduction in income is from the pot being smaller by the said 38%, i.e. a smaller pot to buy a pension annuity, but the money is obviously available outside to buy a PLA.
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    As once you take a pension, your contribution limits are slashed, why not make a contribution equal to the 25% tax free before taking the tax free amount, and you will also get tax relief on that contribution.
    As I understand it the contribution limits are only reduced to 4K if you take more than your tax free cash lump sum. Please tell me if I'm wrong!

Also I think you'd probably fall foul of the fiendishly complicated recycling rules if you paid in a large lump sum.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    chris1 wrote: »
    As I understand it the contribution limits are only reduced to 4K if you take more than your tax free cash lump sum. Please tell me if I'm wrong!

Also I think you'd probably fall foul of the fiendishly complicated recycling rules if you paid in a large lump sum.

Not if its pre-cycling rather than re-cycling.

No idea whether tax free lump only reduces the limit to £4k or not.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not if its pre-cycling rather than re-cycling.

Nope, they look at five years: the year of the contribution, the two before and the two after.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No idea whether tax free lump only reduces the limit to £4k or not.

It doesn't. And that doesn't change with enhanced tax free cash. If the OP transfers to drawdown and only takes his 40% tax free cash, with no taxable income, he won't be subject to the MPAA.

The rules on tax-free cash recycling can be seen here.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP states that the enhanced tfls is actually a fixed amount, so wouldn't the additional payments simply reduce the percentage of the tfls?
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    How come the tax free cash is a fixed amount (rather than a %)? Genuinely interested here.
  • dmelife
    dmelife Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A transfer out to a drawdown contract may result in the loss of the enhanced TFC. Check with the provider. This may mean annuity purchase after the TFC is the only option, which may mean tax benefits gained are lost elsewhere. What is the pension value?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure