Apps on Panasonic tvs

Having left Sky, I have been looking round the apps icons on our 2 year old Panasonic tv and on the page with iPlayer , ITV Hub etc,there is an extra ITV icon which gives the message that the ITV Hub will soon be unavailable on our tv.

When smart tvs became common, I remember reading the criticism that manufacturers only support the apps for a certain period and then no longer update them, so I was expecting something like 8-10years and not just 2.

Does anyone else's Panasonic tv have this message and, if so, has it been there for a long time or does it literally mean a few weeks left ?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you tried the update / apps market if its on your TV .
  • I used to work for ITV and the ITV Hub team (that work on the Hub itself) is incredibly small especially compared to say the iPlayer team. That's why if something is broken it takes so long to fix it. Perhaps Panasonic have got tired of waiting for fixes (they pay ITV I think to allow the app on their TV's) and have decided to rely on Freeview Play for catchup?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There have been different platforms on all brands of TV over the years - Panasonic included. If you let us know the model number of your TV, we can at least know what platform we're talking about.
    If it's Freeview Play, for example, I'd be stunned if ITV Hub is simply stopping on that platform.
  • almillar wrote: »
    If it's Freeview Play, for example, I'd be stunned if ITV Hub is simply stopping on that platform.

Although it's only 7 day catch up on Freeview Play it would make (some) sense to drop it on that platform for a relatively small company.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I notice tonight, thought that could be a glitch ,that the app is still working ,but the Freetime (peculiar to Panasonic, via an aerial) does not show any catchup for ITV stations, though it is there for all BBC channels ,plus channels 4 and 5.

It's a Panasonic TX-42AS650B
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 November 2017 at 11:47AM
    I purchased a Nov TV box on Friday. £12 from Sainsburys in the BFsale.

I hope to use it to watch ITV hub and 4OD
    It does other stuff too, like 5 catchup,
    and you can pay for netflix and stuff if you wish. Can dip in and out as you wish I believe.

It's the size of 2 packs of fags. With its own 13A wallwart. Own remote control.
    It can use WiFi or network port.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I purchased a Nov TV box on Friday. £12 from Sainsburys in the BFsale.

I hope to use it to watch ITV hub and 4OD
    It does other stuff too, like 5 catchup,
    and you can pay for netflix and stuff if you wish. Can dip in and out as you wish I believe.

It's the size of 2 packs of fags. With its own 13A wallwart. Own remote control.
    It can use WiFi or network port.

Since when?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My bad. Sorry if it doesn't do that.
  • You can get Netflix (if needed) plus the ITV Hub and all of the usual suspects on the Amazon Fire Stick which is around £25 and only needs a spare HDMI socket. As well as it's own remote it now comes with Alexa voice control.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Or a Chromecast for £6 less or a Roku stick for £5 more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure