Been made Redundant, which Benefits do I apply for?

Hi all.

I was made redundant last week, I am going to be receiving 2.3K of redundancy pay, but all of that is pretty much going to be spent paying back debt I owe, once everything is paid off, I will be left with about £200. I claim Disability Living Allowance as I have a mental condition -do I apply for Job Seekers Allowance or Universal Credits (not sure what Universal Credits is to be honest).

Any help I would really appreciate.

Thanks.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Universal Credits is the replacement for a number of Income Related benefits plus Housing Benefit and Working Tax Credits. Which you will end up claiming depends on the state of rollout in your area.
    Start point would be to try to claim JSA and see where the system takes you. Without knowing more about your situation e.g. single/partner, kids etc it's difficult to be more specific.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have sufficient NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years, you should apply for:
    A) In a non UC area - Contribution Based JSA
    B) In a UC area - New Style JSA - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance

Also (if you pay rent):
    A) Housing Benefit;
    B) UC for the Housing element

Plus Council Tax reduction.

Your local CAB / advice agency should be able to advise further.

For UC areas see - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/jobcentres-where-you-can-claim-universal-credit
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure