Investing a lump sum

Options
At the ripe old age of 56 having stupidly neglected my finances all my life - please don't berate me - I suddenly have 350K to do something sensible with. I have a flat worth 400K with 48K mortgage left and on fixed low rate til Feb 2019. Would first thing to do be to pay off mortgage thus having less outgoings immediately? £900 - ish penalty but cheaper than the interest of £112 per month. Have enough rainy day money to survive a year if work dried up (am freelance so I'm not entirely hopeless). Pension of 58K that needs attention and 30K premium bonds. Been to see two financial advisors - fees are high, I think. Been researching Vanguard. I know diversity is key. I can tie a percentage of the money up for 10 years but I would also like some money when I'm 60 - you never know how long you'll be on the planet. Would people keep researching what to do without help of IFA or are they worth the fees? Thank you

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newbie3004 wrote: »
    Been researching Vanguard. I know diversity is key. I can tie a percentage of the money up for 10 years but I would also like some money when I'm 60 - you never know how long you'll be on the planet. Would people keep researching what to do without help of IFA or are they worth the fees? Thank you
    I'm not sure why you would only want to tie up a percentage for 10 years, unless you have particular plans for the rest of the funds or for the whole of the invested percentage in 10 years time. I'm a similar age and starting moving lump sums from Cash ISAs to S&S ISAs. I've invested some in VLS funds and some in active income funds, the idea being to give me some income to supplement my pensions, and I plan to keep it invested for the long term even although I'm in my late 50s. So apart from a fairly large cash buffer I plan to be near enough fully invested by next year.

I did consider consulting an IFA but after learning a bit more about investing on this forum and other sites I decided to go DIY.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pension of 58K that needs attention

You're not wrong!
    I have a flat worth 400K with 48K mortgage left and on fixed low rate til Feb 2019. Would first thing to do be to pay off mortgage thus having less outgoings immediately?

My inclination would be to do this and start paying the money saved and as much as possible into the pension.

http://adviser.royallondon.com/technical-central/pensions/contributions-and-tax-relief/member-contributions-tax-relief-and-annual-allowance/

Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

https://directory.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You say you are "freelance". Do you trade as self employed (so,e trader ) or do you trade as a limited company? It can make a huge difference in finances.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In your shoes:

After telling myself it's not entirely rational, clear the mortgage anyway.

Fill up PBs to £50k.

Fill S&S ISA in 17/18, 18/19, .... and invest in cheap tracker fund, with proviso below.

Buy £20k or so of gold sovereigns having first found out where to stash them safely: not a soul to know.

Make max annual contributions to pensions this tax year and subsequently, using a different provider than the one which provides the ISAs. Proviso: some foreign dividends are subject to withholding tax by the jurisdiction that the company is registered in. You can claim back some of this if your shares are held in (say) a SIPP but not if they are in an ISA. Could it matter? Dunno: it might be something to raise with an IFA if you hire one.

Find out how to legitimately hold some of your wealth abroad Just In Case. Switzerland?

Do you have a wife/spousepersonofnoparticulargender? If so consider using her/him/it/they as another tax shelter.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • newbie3004
    Options
    I'm not a limited company, just a self-employed individual.
  • newbie3004
    Options
    Thank you for the info - Yes I will get a state pension. Have no dependents, spouse etc.
  • newbie3004
    Options
    I thought that by investing the money for longer I would have a chance for my savings to grow, over time. I don't plan to stop working yet because I enjoy it (I don't work full-time - I cut my cloth to have more time than money).
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    Would people keep researching what to do without help of IFA or are they worth the fees?
    As you have found out already, advice can be expensive so it will be worthwhile doing more research along the diy lines.

A couple of free sites - Monevator (passive index investing) http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

and DIY Investor http://diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk/p/basics.html

Maybe also get hold of 'Smarter Investing' by Hale.

My thoughts would be to look to boost your pension...look at setting up a SIPP and invest in a multi low cost index fund such as Vanguard Lifestrategy.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 November 2017 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Whether you DIY or use an IFA all comes down to knowledge and ability. If you DIY well, you can save money. If you DIY badly it will be far more costly than using an IFA. Just the same as any area you decide to DIY or use someone.
    m freelance so I'm not entirely hopeless). Pension of 58K that needs attention and 30K premium bonds.

You shouldnt be looking at FAs. It should be IFAs. FAs are restricted. Usually extremely so. Plus, FAs tend to be more expensive.

Costs will vary. If you are going to a firm that typically has a target market of the bottom end of the market its charges may appear high for larger stuff. Equally, your amount is at the bottom end of the firms that target high net worth. So, those firms may price you high because you are small to them. Every firm has its own pricing and business model. Some may be greedy. Some may be expensive because of location (city firms tend to cost more than rural. Employed IFAs tend to be more expensive than owner/director IFAs etc). Some may be cheap and good value.
    Been researching Vanguard.

There is more to life than Vanguard. We have millions on Vanguard. Its great for some small investments (but not all as better options exist in some areas). We use some of their single sector funds as well. Although not in every area as some of them are not the best. Also, do not focus primarily on cost. It is very important but it is a secondary consideration. Would you rather 7% after 1% charge or 6% after 0.2% charge? If costs were a primary consideration then you would never invest and would stick with savings accounts with no explicit charges (although they do have implicit charges when you realise how rates are set).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure