Legal Protection?

Is it worth getting legal protection option when purchasing home insurance? I already pay for 'legal protection' through my car insurance although not sure if the two have any crossover. I would hazard a guess that it depends if there is a likelihood I ever end up in dispute with neighbours. Given I have other flats above, below and to the side of me the chances of that are reasonable I suppose (escape of water, fire etc).

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Motor legal cover is really uninsured losses recovery following a motor claim where you are not totally (or at all) to blame for

It won't cover the same things as the home insurance cover you mention.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2017 at 12:06PM
    There is no crossover as home insurance usually excludes you whilst a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle.

The home part is not just for house related things, it also usually covers consumer disputes, sometimes employment disputes and often would cover you if you had a accident cycling (see exclusion above which is usually motor vehicles). I take it because I'm a cyclist and see it as valuable. If you live in a flat you may consider it worthwhile having.

You may well be overpaying for your legal cover if you bought it via your motor insurer. I use this company

http://memonline.co.uk/motor-legal-protection-insurance-new-customers/

I haven't had to use the insurance, but I do know that they are FCA registered, have been around 40 years and are very good value if you have multiple vehicles. It is also an insurance policy which means you have a contract with them which puts obligations on them as opposed to accident management companies that you employ after the event you tend to cherry pick.
    No connection and I can't make any recommendation other than the factors I've identified.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure