Incredible ATW charge

I have just been offered 6 - 2 hour sessions of, presumbly one to one, Memory Strategy Training - 100% paid for by ATW.....
The company, selected to carry out the training is charging DWP almost £1200 for these 6 sessions !!
Thats almost £100 per hour
I feel that this amount is slightly excessive - but what options do I have, except to reject the whole idea ?

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Not saying it's right but £100 an hour for a professional (?who would be providing the sessions) and their infrastructure expenses isn't that outrageous
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    w06 wrote: »
    Not saying it's right but £100 an hour for a professional (?who would be providing the sessions) and their infrastructure expenses isn't that outrageous

I think that it is taking the pi55 - ripping off the taxpayer !!
  • 50Twuncle
    Even more amazing - one of the companies tells me that driving 3 1/2 hours each way is too far for the money offered and has put itself out of contention !!
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Given that these skills can be largely self taught, and given the massive cuts in other areas of ATW, I would refuse this funding.
  • 50Twuncle
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    Given that these skills can be largely self taught, and given the massive cuts in other areas of ATW, I would refuse this funding.
    Self taught for/by whom ?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Even more amazing - one of the companies tells me that driving 3 1/2 hours each way is too far for the money offered and has put itself out of contention !!

If that £200 a session includes travel I'm not surprised. Even at 40mph that would equate to a travel expenses claim of £126 for each two hour session and make 2 hours work into 9 hours work and so they'd be earning just over £8 an hours, ignoring any preparation time, non travel overheads and administrative staff involved.

Agree this sort of thing lends itself well to online self teaching
    https://www.mindtools.com/memory.html
    https://www.udemy.com/courses/personal-development/memory/
  • 50Twuncle
    w06 wrote: »
    If that £200 a session includes travel I'm not surprised. Even at 40mph that would equate to a travel expenses claim of £126 for each two hour session and make 2 hours work into 9 hours work and so they'd be earning just over £8 an hours, ignoring any preparation time, non travel overheads and administrative staff involved.

Agree this sort of thing lends itself well to online self teaching
    https://www.mindtools.com/memory.html
    https://www.udemy.com/courses/personal-development/memory/
    The company that I have agreed to - uses local staff - so much less driving (perhaps an hour) still way too high costs though !!
  • 50Twuncle
    DWP expect me to fork out almost £1200 to pay for the memory coping strategy training and rely on DWP reimbursing me - I DON'T THINK SO !!
    Any one had any experience of this ?
    This is almost 20 weeks net pay !
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    net pay? ...............................................................................
  • 50Twuncle
    batg wrote: »
    net pay? ...............................................................................
    Correct - I only work 10 hours per week !
    but in any case - the issue has been sorted..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure