Diesel?

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    The government could put a hefty levy on diesel fuel with a rebate for commercial vehicles, much like they do with buses and coaches at the moment. Or they could allow commercial operators to buy red diesel, like farmers (and fishemen?)
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    The government could put a hefty levy on diesel fuel with a rebate for commercial vehicles, much like they do with buses and coaches at the moment. Or they could allow commercial operators to buy red diesel, like farmers (and fishemen?)

More hassle than its worth and almost unimplementable.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn’t buy a diesel now. They are on the way out, probably very gradually, but still.... unlike the very poor analogy of bread, there is a very simple alternative so unless you do seriously huge mileage buy a petrol!
  • motorguy
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t buy a diesel now. They are on the way out, probably very gradually, but still.... unlike the very poor analogy of bread, there is a very simple alternative so unless you do seriously huge mileage buy a petrol!

All fossil fuel burning vehicles are on their way out. Its only a matter of time. However as long as there are petrol cars there will be diesel cars too.

Diesel should never have been the default choice for fuel type that it had become and if we're seeing that rebalance back to those who get a financial advantage from running on it then great.

If you're doing 10-12,000 miles a year then you should never have been driving a diesel in the first place.

Thats evidence of re-education, not that diesel is "on its way out".
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I think diesel cars will drop in prevalence, however that tide shift will continue and petrols will be the next to go, as we move towards hybrids and electric cars.

Diesel will be with us for a long time yet, as will petrol but its dominance in the marketplace will drop. I dont think thats a bad thing anyway. Diesel became the default choice for new car buyers which was wrong TBH.

But buying a newer diesel will involve significant investment still and it's quite clear that the next 18 months are going to be rocky for diesels.

As I said, no problem with chucking £700 away on a diesel 03 Fiesta or something with £30 tax. Sure, you can't take it into London, but who the heck wants to drive to London anyway? Spending 3k-4k on a diesel right now is very risky in my opinion.
  • motorguy
    Stoke wrote: »

But buying a newer diesel will involve significant investment still and it's quite clear that the next 18 months are going to be rocky for diesels.

Who says?
    • Any proposed city charges are around old heavy polluting diesel AND petrol variants.
    • Changes to road tax have never (successfully) been retrospective and would cause a political backlash if they were.
    • Fuel charges cant increase that much as it impacts transport and haulage.

The news papers are trying to drum up a story. That and car finance seems to be their two targets at the minute.
    Stoke wrote: »

As I said, no problem with chucking £700 away on a diesel 03 Fiesta or something with £30 tax. Sure, you can't take it into London, but who the heck wants to drive to London anyway? Spending 3k-4k on a diesel right now is very risky in my opinion.

And hows it risky?

Whos going to force you to sell it? Even if it drops by 50% in value in a year (which it wont) why would you have to sell it? Just drive on at it.

I've just bought a £15K+ Passat TDI. Not one !!!! will i give if the !!! drops out of the diesel car resale market as i have no plans to sell it any time soon - and i will still be getting 60mpg and paying £20 pa road tax. :beer:
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Newspapers are basing their figure on people valuing their cars on online sites like Autotrader and Whatcar. I did the check on those the other day as am still weighing up my options. As someone who does 18 - 22k a year, I'm looking at buying another diesel, but the online tools don't check what you're looking to buy - though Whatcar did call me saying it was a 'courtesy call'. More likely they were wanting me to use them to buy financial products or take out a subscritpion, but wouldn't be drawn on it.

It seems to me, therefore that the papers are distorting things to chase a good story, which means at part exchange time salesmen will use it as an excuse to give less for a diesel even if selling you a diesel. SO will take money off what they give you, but not off what they are selling. A bit like the mileage only being an issue when they are buying not when you are.
  • jamiehelsinki
    jamiehelsinki Posts: 222 Forumite
    Nick Clegg was talking about this on the Wright Show this morning, I don't usually like him but he gave a good point of view on it.

He said if the government directly tax the diesel car owners (voters) it would do them a lot of harm, they are more likely to pass the problem onto local councils and give them powers to charge diesel drivers to drive in certain areas.

Basically a diesel congestion charge fee in city centres would do less harm to the government than putting diesel prices up or increasing the vehicle excise duty charges etc.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    I think diesel cars will drop in prevalence, however that tide shift will continue and petrols will be the next to go, as we move towards hybrids and electric cars.

This is my view. And it is because of that that I'm going to keep my current diesel Mondeo until it expires because I reckon in the next half decade which it should easily manage given it is currently only 7 years old with 120k, electric cars are going to improve charge times, range and simultaneously they'll reduce in price and the fast charging network grow sufficiently to make them suitable for almost all the journeys I do.
  • calog
    calog Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I share concerns of OP on this, later down the line diesels will be penalised.

Diesel car sales are slumping, new car sales figures show this.

As with everything else we will have to find ways of transporting goods more efficiently or swallow additional costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure