stretching the salary

Hi all

January is the month when a lot of us set down our plans for the year and renew our determination to get control of our finances. I started a spending diary for the umpteenth time and so far have stuck to it.

The outcome is that I have more money left mid month than usual. So I'm promoted to wonder if I could make my cash last a bit longer.

All bills are paid by this day in the month, I have a separate budget for food and enough petrol in my car. I get paid on the 25th but I'm going to try not to touch it til the 1st.
Anyone else do this?

ve got the ambitious but realistic planof making my salary last a few more

Comments

• *prompted*
  • I like this idea. It could be a good way to save. Eventually it might be possible to get to a whole month pocketed. Thanks for this and good luck :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Just to add - the bills going out before the 1st will still be paid. I transfer a lump sum on payday to my bills account with Natwest.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I like this idea. It could be a good way to save. Eventually it might be possible to get to a whole month pocketed. Thanks for this and good luck :)
    If you look at the YNAB it suggests building up to just that so that we are using money that is a month old where possible for bills.
    Missu wrote: »
    Just to add - the bills going out before the 1st will still be paid. I transfer a lump sum on payday to my bills account with Natwest.
    Having separate bills accounts was a big factor in getting me out of debt. It meant I could see what I really had to spend and not forget about certain bills.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • I can see this working if you leave the salary for a week longer over several months
  • datlex wrote: »
    Having separate bills accounts was a big factor in getting me out of debt. It meant I could see what I really had to spend and not forget about certain bills.
    This is something I am planning on doing. I have never had this before and as I get to the end of my debt I want to have a real grasp on future monies to ensure I stay out of debt.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Missu wrote: »
    I can see this working if you leave the salary for a week longer over several months

It's not so much leaving it longer, its having a proper budget where you know everything is going, so you budget according to the bills you have monthly and yearly and 6 monthly.
    Split all the yearly six monthly into months and budget for those bills each week or month depending on when you're paid. Any leftover from weekly shops or monthly shops of bills such as groceries etc, goes to next months bills etc etc.

Before long, you know exactly howmuch everything costs, and you know where you can afford to go crazy or not, and you'rliving according to your means and not depriving yoursel of any necessary items.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I need a new keyboard obviously, but not for a while :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff I use this budgeting model already. For me it is about stretching the money that's left over after all bills and other expenses are deducted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure