CIFAS and Me...

Hi Guys,

New to forum - I usually view stuff on here and it's great but time to join and ask a question!

Back in Dec 2015, I was victim of a SIM Swap fraud, where a few thousand pounds was taken from my account. This was all resolved (although EE were a pain about cancelling the contract). However there were some anomalies:

- EE could never find the call the infiltrated my account
- I signed up through Carphone Warhouse, and when I cancelled the initial contract, I then signed up for another one with Carphone warehouse (long a behold another attempt was made to get into my account)
- I gave the Fraud Action Helpline all the fraudsters details (from what I could gather, he/she had registered a domain for phising scams, and I did a WHO.is look up - the address was not far from the address of the EE store they went to).

Anyway, fast foward to now - I went for a job which included Security Vetting - I was successful up until my background checks (I didn't think anything of it). Then, I tried to open a Lloyds bank account, they accepted and sent me a Card and online activation code. However, after reviewing my details I was sent a letter stating there was information about me on CIFAS).

I phoned NatWest, they deny that they have put any marker on there. So it must be EE, however, as usual I cannot call them or get through. The reason I'm so concerned is I've had another job offer (which includes background checks) that I'm worried I'll be declined.

Has anyone been in this situation/would a job be declined on a CIFAS basis even though I was a VICTIM of fraud?? Just to be clear, CIFAS have stated themselves it would not be down to a credit check that Lloyds would have declined my application, if it was something related to CIFAS.

Thanks

James

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What is your status with CIFAS?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You should find out what CIFAS have on you and then go from there, its all speculating at the min.
  • fxssils
    fxssils Posts: 17 Forumite
    I know what you mean, but they state that:

"If you are looking to check whether you have been registered with us as a victim of fraud, you should check your credit report rather than make a Subject Access Request. Get in touch with any of the main credit reference agencies; your report will show Cifas 'victim markers' as well as lots of other useful information that will help you to spot if a fraudster is attempting to use your identity.

Victim markers – ‘Victim of Impersonation’ and ‘Victim of Takeover’ – remain in place for 13 months from the date of submission. Both will appear on credit reports."

This means that if it was this, it would be o my credit report (which it is not). So it must be that they have placed a marker that I was involved someway in the fraud.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    fxssils wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but they state that:

"If you are looking to check whether you have been registered with us as a victim of fraud, you should check your credit report rather than make a Subject Access Request. Get in touch with any of the main credit reference agencies; your report will show Cifas 'victim markers' as well as lots of other useful information that will help you to spot if a fraudster is attempting to use your identity.

Victim markers – ‘Victim of Impersonation’ and ‘Victim of Takeover’ – remain in place for 13 months from the date of submission. Both will appear on credit reports."

This means that if it was this, it would be o my credit report (which it is not). So it must be that they have placed a marker that I was involved someway in the fraud.

So you have checked your report at all 3 agencies ?
  • fxssils
    I have checked:

Noddle (Call Credit)
    Experian
    Equifax

All state that no entries have been made by CIFAS
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As you have said any fraud marker that is detrimental will not show on your credit reports you need to do a SAR to CIFAS and go from there.

This will not happen and be resolved any time soon but the quicker you get the SAR the quicker you can put incorrect info right.

Keep us posted

John
  • fxssils
    Thanks John,

Do you think that a company I've been offered a contract with (the company are part of CIFAS) will decline my contract due to the incorrect marker?
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Yes they will likely decline.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • fxssils
    The CIFAS proof of Identity list states that I can send a photocopy of a list of documents including an Evidence of entitlement such as education - I have a student loan, will that give them enough detail?
  • fxssils
    Just as an update: I've requested EE state if they put on the marker, which they have stated they have not. So I've completed a SAR to CIFAS to determine what has happened.

Wish me luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport