Candle & Scent - is it a legit company?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    0203 numbers are virtual numbers that give the appearance of being in London , this is definitely a scam site

Not all. BT issue 0203 together with commonly known 0207 & 0208 to businesses and individuals. It started in 2005 as an additional number range for London.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    But it's specifically only allocated by virtual number companies unlike the other London ranges

With the evidence so far of the site I still call scam
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    https://www.lovemoney.com/news/28892/we-must-act-on-these-0203-phone-number-scammers

I had always believed that numbers such as 020 3xxx xxxx were in the London phone area – they were, I thought, used because the 020 7xxx xxxx and 020 8xxx xxxx configurations (central and outer London respectively) had run out. The use of the “3” expanded phone numbers in this area by 50%.
    But I was wrong, in part at least. While many London organisations use the “3” because there are not enough other numbers left, that's not the whole story.
    The rules allow firms to sell “virtual” 020 3 numbers. These give the impression of an organisation in London.
    One I found promised that 0203 phone numbers “would give you a local, London presence to enhance your company’s image”. It would enable you to “target specific areas of the UK market even if you are not based there
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hey guys any update regarding this?...I also ordered from this website with no confirmation email or answer to phone calls...very sketchy...however so far they haven't deducted any funds so fingers crossed!

Weird isn't it, my daughter said that she checked her bank account and nothing has been taken out yet either so of course no need to report them but it's still annoying and very strange. Their website looks really good too.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • littlewren
    Browntoa wrote: »
    0203 numbers are virtual numbers that give the appearance of being in London , this is definitely a scam site

If they haven't taken any money out though (as they haven't as yet from my daughter's account) what do they gain from having this kind of scam site?
  • I've recently placed an order with this website too (30/07/17) and have had no correspondence since, I wish I had noticed this thread earlier.
    It looks like a legit site and it's one of the first sponsored results on Google when I search for Stoneglow candles, probably should have been a bit more sceptical of their pricing though.
    There's been no money taken from my account yet but I'm wondering whether I should tell my bank in case they try and take something in the future.
    Has anyone actually received or heard anything from them?
  • BertieBart
    BertieBart Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 August 2017 at 2:55PM
    This is a Warning to All who have recently tried to purchase form Candle & Scent.
    My Daughter also purchased a Candle from this website, around (06-07-2017) which never came, money was never taken for it, and, when she tried to contact by phone, and email, she had no replies. she gave up as they hadn't taken money.

BE WARNED, Yesterday & Last night her debit card details were used to buy goods fraudulently.
    Anyone who has bought from this company, (as it may be the source) please check your accounts or contact your bank to check.
    She has not used her card anywhere else that could have been source, and this seems strange that this company is not sending out candles or replying to emails ect!
  • littlewren
    BertieBart wrote: »
    This is a Warning to All who have recently tried to purchase form Candle & Scent.
    My Daughter also purchased a Candle from this website, around (06-07-2017) which never came, money was never taken for it, and, when she tried to contact by phone, and email, she had no replies. she gave up as they hadn't taken money.

BE WARNED, Yesterday & Last night her debit card details were used to buy goods fraudulently.
    Anyone who has bought from this company, (as it may be the source) please check your accounts or contact your bank to check.
    She has not used her card anywhere else that could have been source, and this seems strange that this company is not sending out candles or replying to emails ect!

Thank you very much for posting this, I have passed it on to my daughter and she's going to phone her bank.
  • Couldn't agree more with you dlusman.
  • xtinesan1
    xtinesan1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 9:25AM
    I also ordered something from Candle & Scent on 25 July. Received a page with an order number but like everyone no email confirmation and no charge to my credit card after about a week. I then sent an email through their website, to which I received no reply and tried to ring and got no reply. Given I used to be an auditor my alarm bells were ringing, so I rang my credit card company and actually cancelled my card and got a new one because it all felt dodgy to me. I have not to this day (18 August) received a reply to my email, a query as to why my card couldn't be charged (after I'd cancelled it) or indeed anything to indicate I ever ordered anything. From what I can find, the company was incorporated on 3 May 2017 and has one director, Thomas Milner. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as I don't believe they are legit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure