PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    With you on both of these not to my taste at all - the pasta's too slimy. I could just about manage tinned ravioli if I had to (and it was covered in cheese and grilled to crispiness;)) but tinned spaghetti just ain't going to go down (texture as much as taste issue for me_pale_)

Agreed....I would rather have a tin of baked beans which has so many more redeeming features :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    karcher wrote: »
    Agreed....I would rather have a tin of baked beans which has so many more redeeming features :D
    Baked beans yep they get my vote:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Another thing I used to buy was a can of All Day Breakfast that, from memory, had beans, potato wedges, a sausage in it ...and was a little bit curry flavoured. I know there are other flavours, but I steer well clear of bacon and mushrooms ... so all other flavours were out of the question. They're also about £1.50/tin at full RRP these days, making it a no go...I can make it myself much cheaper.

I've seen the all day breakfast tins around, but never had the courage to buy & eat one, based only on having eaten a frozen one and it was rank, imagine the worst greasy spoon meal ever

I quite like tinned spag, never have it much these days but there is a standby tin in the pantry "just in case"

Nice sunny day so far, washing out, no breakfast but def not going to have another grot burger for brunch. Off to mooch for YS, hopefully some bananas will pop up but plenty of own fruit so not bothered. Will avoid biscuit aisle this time :o

I think cheese salady sarnie for lunch
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • It will be buffet lunch out today. So don't know for sure - but there should be passable bread/fresh fruit/cheese there. Will be avoiding any dips except hummus and also avoiding fact that there will always be a lot of cakes. Whoops - cheese again at the moment (ie high fat). Still - the only way to be sure of being "perfect" is never having meals out.....

Dinner will be that singles Groundhog Day bit again - ie I've got leftover roast sweet potatoes and cauliflower and mixed cooked grain and tomato sauce.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2017 at 10:26AM
    Breakfast: Ended up getting two pieces of bread from the freezer and toasting them; added 1/3rd of a tin of beans, scrambled the last 2 eggs. Splash of brown ... Bob's your uncle :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,

I had a really rubbish sleep last night and have been up from silly o'clock so I'm tired now. One of the side effects of my new meds is sore feet and they were really painful last night which didn't help.:( I'd an early breakfast of toast & cottage cheese and I've defrosted lorne sausage to have for lunch probably with tattie scone and tomato or egg:D.

I'm planning to roast a piece of belly pork later with a stuffing made from black pudding, some LO sage & onion from the freezer, onion and apple. I've not had a roast dinner in ages so I'm looking forward to it. Since I'll need to have the oven on for a longish time, I'm going to fill it up with a veggie bake using a tin of condensed soup and a bramble/apple crumble so meals for a couple of days will be covered. I reckon I'll get around 3 main meals from the pork so will probably freeze some of it. Tonight I'm going to have it veg, mash and gravy and maybe a yorkshire pudding as I've a bag of wee ones in the freezer.:)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lunch will be a cheese and ham sandwich to use up the last of the gammon I cooked earlier in the week. There is now one portion of that in the freezer to be used in a pasta dish later.

Dinner will be another one of the lamb burgers in a bun with some salad and a few chips because it's a nice sunny day here today. I will have a scone and cream for pudding.

I had scrambled egg for breakfast this morning but as I was awake and up early that seems ages ago now, so I'm quite hungry. I should have had a choc ice earlier. I was going to go and get one but got distracted :)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2017 at 1:30PM
    Afternoon. Lunch today is the other chicken and stuffing sandwich and I sliced a tomato but wrapped it separately so as not to soggy up my sandwich. Crisps, a pineapple jelly with chopped pineapple in and a cheeky chocolate biscuit :)

Not feeling too well today am shivery, hot, achy and a strange rash coming up on my chest so I may go to the walk in centre after work.

Caronc Hope the side effects settle down soon for you, you must be fed up.

Money Enjoy your buffet they are my favourite thing!

ETA: Forgot to say that tea tonight is going to Caron's/Nigel Slater's pea pasta recipe with added shredded chicken :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 August 2017 at 2:16PM
    caronc wrote: »
    I've not had a roast dinner in ages so I'm looking forward to it. .............. Tonight I'm going to have it veg, mash and gravy and maybe a yorkshire pudding as I've a bag of wee ones in the freezer.:)

Seems we are on similar thoughts today, except mine is lamb shank, cheat version from Lidl & only needs nuking, my steamed veg will certainly feature runner beans, plus boiled new spuds that have been kicking around so long that any more eyes and it will be Specsavers a job

If I get around to doing them, stewed windfall apples & yoghurt could be pudding

Asda was YS light, well there were some but of no interest to me. For any butter lovers, Asda has Loseley butter, on offer £1 for 250g [£1.70 Waitrose]. I took 3 long dated to November so plenty for me, and I much prefer butter to marge

Brunch today was last of the kipper pate on last toasted crust
    Lunch was the long promised cheese salady sarnie
    Dinner will be as above

Gardening later, just tying in the new blackberry canes for 2018 crop before they get too leggy and unmanageable

PS, SG, hope your walk helps
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2017 at 5:26PM
    Yep...duly had said buffet for lunch. As anticipated - loadsa cakes/biscuits/posh crisps were there.

But I stuck to a brown bread (hopefully wholemeal) roll. Tiny bits of 2 different cheeses/green salad/tomatoes/hummus/think it was guacamole?/4 different fruits (so 1 banana, 2 satsumas, 1 peach).

Well - it's "August:eek:". Which to me has equalled "That" month of the year for quite some time - ie even back in Home City (ie where there is loads more stuff going on - but it goes rather quieter than normal). In fairness - a noticeable amount more stuff has started to happen here since I moved to the area (well....a little bit of it is related to that fact, as I've played my little part in expanding something that I think/feel pretty sure would be "dead" by now otherwise - but not most of it). It's quite noticeably "livelier" than it was when I moved here (which I obviously approve of).

Everything/everybody is now officially going to go very "quiet" for weeks now - which I personally don't like and it's much worse in such a "family-centred" part of the country as I'm now in. Personally - I do tend to like "action" and it's what I'm used to...

So - telling myself the plus side (besides the fact I've learnt what "August" here is like well enough by now to know to schedule catching-up with chores/etc in until it's through) - so maybe I'll be able to focus rather more on food then.

There are loads of projects on the to-do list for food:
    - fermented food
    - make my own sourdough bread
    - have a go at making my own flat breads of various descriptions
    - vegan "cheeses" to experiment with
    - some different options for breakfast to experiment with

Hmm....:think: - wonders how many of them I'll get round to...:cool:

Other "catch up" stuff on the agenda for the month - so we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure