Turned 50, now what?

Options
So I turned 50 yesterday, this is the over 50's forum, so what exciting things can I claim or do etc?
I can't retire for another 17 years, so not really interested in all that stuff (I do have work pension to look forward to in another 17 years).

But since I've now hit the big 50 and this forum is called over 50's, I thought I should see what I can save etc.

Thanks

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    toadhall wrote: »
    So I turned 50 yesterday

Many happy returns for yesterday!
    I can't retire for another 17 years, so not really interested in all that stuff (I do have work pension to look forward to in another 17 years).

Being pedantic, as a general rule you can retire whenever you want - you just can't claim your State Pension for another 17 years. Pension freedoms now mean that private pensions are generally accessible once you;re over 55, although you may need to transfer pensions to get to it.
    so what exciting things can I claim or do etc?

Not a lot, to be honest. It's been raised before that the age of over 50 for this board is a bit arbitrary - most offers etc that I'm aware of kick in at 55, 60 or 65, and they're often for use on weekdays during the day which are no use if you are working full time Monday-Friday 9-5.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • retiredlady
    Options
    Now the fun starts ��
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations.

You are one of the lucky ones. Many don't live to see their 50th birthday
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Come my next birthday early next year, I will have lived my mother by 10 years.

After 50 and certainly after 60 time seems to whizz past.

The 1990s don't seem long ago until you work it out and my two youngest grandchildren are both 4 next month, yet it doesn't seem a year since they were just learning to walk.

Having done the week's shopping 'yesterday', it will need doing again the day after tomorrow and it doesn't seem 11 months since I last haggled the phone and broadband contract.

My latest time travel is to wake up in a morning and decide to close my eyes briefly, only to find that the clock has sneaked on another hour or so and it sometimes does this 3 or 4 times in one morning.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's only a number.

If you aren't doing so already it is time to look after yourself. Review your lifestyle, get some health advice, look at your diet, get an active hobby and enjoy what you have at the moment as well as preparing for the future.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    It's only a number.

If you aren't doing so already it is time to look after yourself. Review your lifestyle, get some health advice, look at your diet, get an active hobby and enjoy what you have at the moment as well as preparing for the future.

Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of people underestimate what an important asset their health is. And that it's something you have to put some effort into.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Your post doesn't say where you live...... but for readers in Scotland, Scotrail has a "Club 50" - for a £15 annual fee you can have reduced cost rail travel, especially if you buy tickets on line. Sometimes they have special offers.

At the moment there is a special offer of off-peak return travel between any two stations in Scotland (return within a month of outward trip) for only £17. Mrs Wild Rover and I have a wee trip up north booked for next month.

I can't say that I notice many other special offers for folk under the state retirement age. Bus passes are available in Scotland for the over 60s, but there is a consultation underway on that at the moment - I can't see that lasting in its present form, TBH.

WR
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    I can't say that I notice many other special offers for folk under the state retirement age.
    There's more at 60, but that's not much help to the OP.

(Examples: surprised to find I now get free prescriptions, and even more surprised to find that theatre and cinema give senior discounts at 60.)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    (Examples: surprised to find I now get free prescriptions, and even more surprised to find that theatre and cinema give senior discounts at 60.)

Odeon 'silver cinema' showings are for over 55's - film, tea/coffee and biscuits for £3!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure