Child run into side of my car causing damage + small claims court

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    And what non-sense it is too, because when you consider the finance, the running costs and maintenance, £190 is probably quite a lot of money when your monthly payments are equivalent to or often in excess of your mortgage/rent.
    The stereotyped assumption that they have money to burn is just wrong.
    Oh, the irony :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    I'm pointing out that a person in charge of a car/bike/horse or whatever it is they're driving or riding is quite different from parental responsibility for a child. You seem keen to equate the two to make your point but they're not equivalent at all.

Eh? You mean it's not responsible parenting to lead them round in a head collar then lock them in a stable with nice fresh hay every night???
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The child's parents house insurance could actually payout for this.

I had a similar incident, except it was an 18 year old ran into my car (Headphones on, not paying attention etc)

The wingmirror needed replaced and a slight dent on the panel - I never fixed the dent, and got a wingmirror at the scrap yard - cost £40 to buy it and get if fitted.

I informed my insurance company, and because a pedestrian is involved, they sent out an assessor to view the area and get full facts from me, photos the damage etc, in case of a claim at later date - it will be much easier for the insurance company to defend a claim if they get the full facts whenever the accident is fresh in your memory.

As a driver, this is the worst accident I have ever been in, and I have been in a accident where my car rolled and finished up on the roof, where I had to crawl out of it. Hitting a pedestrian, it doesn't matter that it was their fault and they ran into the car, it is very scary, and my first thought was is she ok (she was taken to hospital for a check up, but thankfully ok), at all times I was more concerned about the young girl, than about the damage to the car.

I wouldn't care if the car was a write off and my premiums doubled as long as she was ok.

Yes, having to pay out for damage and get temporary insurance (I was due to change the car the next day, but had to get the damage fixed before selling) was a hassle, but cars can be fixed, it anything had have happened to the girl it would have been much much worse.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    I informed my insurance company, and because a pedestrian is involved, they sent out an assessor to view the area and get full facts from me, photos the damage etc, in case of a claim at later date - it will be much easier for the insurance company to defend a claim if they get the full facts whenever the accident is fresh in your memory.

The OP seemed slightly reluctant to do the same:
    apd100 wrote: »
    Definitely not, if they [the insurers] catch a whiff of it, I'll pay that £190 each year for 5 years whether a claim was made or not.
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    I'm with the OP in the sense that the parent should be held accountable for the damage. They let their child loose on the streets when the child has clearly shown themselves to be unaware of how to cross a road and therefore should have been under supervision. The OP should not be out of pocket as a result of this, the parent should morally have said sorry and paid up.

I have a relative to who this happened, his quick reactions meant the child that cycled into the path of his oncoming van was unharmed but the 6 month old previously immaculate van was all scratched up from the bike. Car behind praised him for his quick reactions and admited she only just avoided going up the back of him as she hadn't seen the child at all.....what did the Mum have to say....not even a thank-you for not killing my silly child, no offer of payment, just a 'claim off your insurance' and walked off just like the woman did to the OP. Disgusting.

In answer to the actual question though the OP needs to tell the insurance company as the kid and Mum are probably the sort to falsify an injury claim too so best be ready with the facts. But then just pay for the repairs yourself so it's noted on your record but no actual claim will be set against you. All in all this will cost you hundreds for something that wasn't your fault and you have my sympathy.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    you hit a child with your car and didn't report it to your insurance??? and think you can go to small claims court without this coming out and having your insurance company invalidate your insurance???
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    The stereotyped assumption that they have money to burn is just wrong.

Is the stereotyped assumption that all BMW drivers can't afford to own one correct, though? I'm assuming you know best.

Wow, we really missed having you around. The smell of chips was really starting to fade.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Is the stereotyped assumption that all BMW drivers can't afford to own one correct, though? I'm assuming you know best.

Friend of mine used to work at bank, he arranged loans and got a good look at peoples finances, 95% (or 99% i cant remember) of people driving these luxury "status symbol" cars, don't own them and can''t actually afford them...... There however is a cut off point (Ferrari money and the really high end stuff), where most are bought outright.

But I think that's the last time I type that out, next time i'll just post a link to one of many times i've said it..
    Wow, we really missed having you around. The smell of chips was really starting to fade.

Why where do you think I went?

This is where it gets funny, because I can't remember ever resorting to personal insults, against you or against anyone else.

I fully respect the opinions of others, I don't have to agree, but I wouldn't try to censor them OR shout them down OR make it personal. Which is exactly how this thread is starting to go.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I really don't think the anti BMW stuff is all that clever. Driving a Hyundai doesn't make you hip and cool. There's no correct way..... Although in the eyes of MSE owning an Audi or BMW makes you evil.

Oh gawd, you've entirely missed the point. I really don't care and should have just said 'reliable little hatchback'. It's you that keeps making up the strawman arguments about people having a down on BMW drivers.

Somebody was hit, the driver doesn't want to tell his insurers, wants to sue the culprit(s), all because £190 is too much for him. Nobody wants such unexpected charges and increased insurance costs, but they're part of motoring. Driving a make known for servicing costs and where you're so worried about the condition of the vehicle I'd expect that to have been thought about before getting the dam thing.

Somebody else said this:
    And what non-sense it is too, because when you consider the finance, the running costs and maintenance, £190 is probably quite a lot of money when your monthly payments are equivalent to or often in excess of your mortgage/rent.

We don't know if this is the case here, but nobody forces you to buy a car that costs more than your mortgage/rent. Nobody forces you to live at the edge of your means such that £190 is more than an annoyance, but is pushing the OP towards breaking the law (and potentially even higher costs).
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I like your evil plan.

It was actually an evil pan. For wicked fry ups. Subtle difference.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport