How to get your credit back from GB energy?

Has anyone been in credit with GB Energy? How did they find it getting their credit back?

I have recently switched energy suppliers and just gave meter readings to my new supplier to open the account with.
Do I call my previous supplier now (with the same metre readings) to request a refund of my credit or do I wait a day till my new supplier sends them the meter readings for them to close my account with?
Will a final bill be sent to me so I know how much credit I am due back?

Comments

• ICV
    ICV Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in the same position. They (gb energy) told me the new supplier will send them the opening meter reading that I supplied then a closing bill & refund will happen automatically within "about 4 weeks". We'll see.
  • I was told 6 weeks. Thy owe me around £32. Not a lot but it's mine....
    Je suis sabot...
  • Did you have to contact them?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Still in credit with them two suppliers later. Finally managed to get a final bill out of them (9 weeks after I left them and I suspect after I chased it, otherwise it'd still be pending now) and suspect I'll have to chase again to get the money...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nicleo wrote: »
    Has anyone been in credit with GB Energy? How did they find it getting their credit back?

I have recently switched energy suppliers and just gave meter readings to my new supplier to open the account with.
    Do I call my previous supplier now (with the same metre readings) to request a refund of my credit or do I wait a day till my new supplier sends them the meter readings for them to close my account with?
    Will a final bill be sent to me so I know how much credit I am due back?

The gaining supplier is responsible for managing all aspects of a transfer of supply. This includes asking you for meter readings. These readings are then passed to an industry partner for verification. Once verified, the readings are passed to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. Under EU law and Ofgem regulations, the losing supplier has 6 weeks to raise a Final Bill from the date of the transfer. Most do it quickly once they have received the verified (closing) meter reading. Your credit will then be returned to you usually within a couple of weeks.

If you call your old supplier with meter readings, they will be ignored for the reasons given above.
  • Never got my £40 back. It's been 8 months.
  • I switched from GB in July. Everything was handled by the new supplier. Gave them the meter readings and they passed them to GB. About 2 weeks after my switchover date I received a final bill from GB which stated how much I was in credit and 2 weeks later I had an email telling me they would be refunding my credit within the next 14 days, and a few days later it was.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    quietness wrote: »
    I switched from GB in July. Everything was handled by the new supplier. Gave them the meter readings and they passed them to GB. About 2 weeks after my switchover date I received a final bill from GB which stated how much I was in credit and 2 weeks later I had an email telling me they would be refunding my credit within the next 14 days, and a few days later it was.

Very similar for me final bill following swop at end of July received within 2 weeks but I was in Debit and their letter advised to contact them before Aug 29. Rang them and paid by card but then they took the same amount by DD as well. Chased and credit received today.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • I got my new bill today. Went onto a new tariff in June and the increase in energy price is extortionate. Elec price doubled (from £29.81 March-June to £60.64 June-Sept) and gas tripled (£12.69 March-June to £33.58 June-Sept). I was £183 in credit, sitting in their accounts which went to £59 when I submitted my new readings today. I have now changed suppliers but is there any way of claiming this money back?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    In June did you put your consumption and see what the market had to offer or did you simply accept gbEnergys new tariff.

Buyer Beware !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family