Over 50s mortgage

Where would be the best place to get a new mortgage for the over 50s please?

Comments

• Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Probably through a mortgage broker - but it largely depends on your age and your income.

If you're 51 and intending to retire at 70, then you'll be looking at the same sort of deals as somebody who's 31.

If you're 101, you're more likely to be looking at equity release products.

But in either case an independent mortgage broker would be a reasonable first start.
  • Annisele wrote: »
    Probably through a mortgage broker - but it largely depends on your age and your income.

If you're 51 and intending to retire at 70, then you'll be looking at the same sort of deals as somebody who's 31.

If you're 101, you're more likely to be looking at equity release products.

But in either case an independent mortgage broker would be a reasonable first start.

I am just over 51 but they do not treat me like a 31 yr old. I will niot be abkle to retire till past 70, but thats wishful thinking.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I used to work for the Halifax, and up until three years ago when I left, they did mortgages for er... more mature people.

To a certain extent it'll depend on the term of the mortgage you want.

If you want a 15 year mortgage, that'd take you up to 66, which is the normal state pension age for 51 year olds. In that case you'd be treated the same as a 31 year old.

If you wanted a mortgage that took you beyond the state pension age, they'd probably want more information, e.g. is the work physical or is it a desk job, and they may even ask you employer if they would keep you on after state pension age.

You'd stand a better chance if you were in a non manual labour job, and and the term ended before age around 70.

with the best will in the world, once you are over about 70, the capacity for work can start to decrease, even more so if there's a lot of physical labour involved.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • sebastianj
    sebastianj Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it is a new mortgage then it depends on the deposit you are able to put forward. Just walk into any building society and ask them, you will get a better answer, I think you can get a 20year mortgage.

sebastian
  • sebastianj wrote: »
    If it is a new mortgage then it depends on the deposit you are able to put forward. Just walk into any building society and ask them, you will get a better answer, I think you can get a 20year mortgage.

sebastian

Thanks all, but I was hoping someone with experience would be able to suggest the best place.
  • holly_hobby
    holly_hobby Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2012 at 2:26PM
    Hi ... sorry I missed this earlier ...

The typical max mortgage redemption age is circa 75 yrs (with assessment of post retirement income if necessary).

However, there are a small no of lenders (national counties being one, whom also accept direct business) whom have an extended upper age limit - BUT - sustained affordability throughout the chosen term must of course be demonstrated - so this may be a solution for you.

Here is a direct link for your ref - http://www.ncbs.co.uk/mortgages/mortgages-home.aspx

Of course, sitting with a broker won't do any harm at all .... IF you are seeking a lifetime (termed as equity release) mge (which may be used to purchase as well as release equity), then you need to source a suitably qualified Equity Release Adviser (a qualification that not all general mortgage advisers hold - so do check their status before you book an appointment).

If you want any guidance on lifetime mges give a shout - and I'll walk you through.

Hope this is of some help

Holly
  • Thanks mate have PMed you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills