Sold a item but buyer is in the US

I sold a jacket yesterday and the end bidder comes from the US but now im not sure on what to do as i only put the postal cost for UK buyers as didnt think i would get a non uk buyer.

so what is the best way to go with this as i put the postal cost at £2.50 Royal mail but if i send it to the US i will be losing money not making money.

i have sent a message to the buyer but not heard back.

Comments

• CouponWoman
    CouponWoman Posts: 6,065 Forumite
    You need to wrap the parcel, weigh it, and then get a postage quote from the Royal Mail website.

Don't guess the weight as you could lose out on postage costs.

Once you have postage costs sent your buyer an invoice.

Then you need to decide if you want to send it insured, this will depend on the value of the jacket obviously as insurance alone is expensive at almost £5.

Good luck
    xx
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Then you need to decide if you want to send it insured, this will depend on the value of the jacket obviously as insurance alone is expensive at almost £5.

Good luck
    xx

Royal Mail airmail, as with standard first and second class domestic mail automatically has £46 insurance. Obtain a free certificate of posting if you want to be able to claim.

Op the parcel needs to weigh less than 2kg to go via airmail. Ask for a price on airmail small packet or use the royal mail website to find the cost.

You will need a CN22 customs declaration on the parcel.

In future, if you want to sell overseas, you need to add the cost to the listing or exclude buyers from overseas from bidding.
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

i have sent a message to the buyer but not heard back.

The US wont's be up until around luchtime.
  • The worst thing is when customer is not happy with the item and is sending it back and want to be refunded for postage.
    Selling to US is very risky business.
  • It's okay, you can tick the box in your auction that you don't give refunds.
  • It's okay, you can tick the box in your auction that you don't give refunds.

Not that this will do any good whatsoever!

If the buyer raises a SNAD dispute and sends the item back, Paypal will force you to refund.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's okay, you can tick the box in your auction that you don't give refunds.

As has been said, that is no use whatsoever.

And I see no way that could even possibly help the OP.

The buyer has won the listing. You can't change the terms afterwards, even to silly ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure