Early Termination

Hi all.

My wife and I recently terminated a car loan agreement early. We were able to do so as we'd already paid half of the loan, and we returned the car to an auction centre.

We were aware that we'd then be given a final charge, usually relating to general wear and tear.

We received the final bill of ~£590. I'd assumed it would be more, so I was OK with this amount. However, before paying it I wanted to know what we were actually being charged *for*.

I called up and requested a break down of the charges. I received the "breakdown" in the post a few days later, and it simply said "wear & tear" charges.

I've spoken to them since and have asked for a proper breakdown of these charges, but it has been months now and they're basically beating around the bush.

Should I stand my ground on this? Is it unreasonable to want to know exactly what I'm paying for? What shall I do if they turn around and say they can't provide those details?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would say that it is not at all unreasonable to insist on an itemised list of the charges.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    yes ask for a clear breakdown before you pay anything, i have heard people being charged money for "wear & tear" which really should come under the bvlra agreement
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Cloudsix and welcome to MSE,

When you voluntarily terminate a conditional sale agreement, you will be liable for 50% of the agreement, minus the money paid to date plus any excessive wear and tear costs, so if you are unsure what this £590 relates to, then you are right to ask for a breakdown.

If they are being awkward in providing this to you, then I would suggest a written formal complaint. Clearly stating that you are willing to pay, but you want to see a breakdown of how this was calculated first. Make it clear that you have asked for this several times before and this is their last chance to provide this. If they don't then you can ask them to write the debt off, and if they refuse then escalate the matter to the financial ombudsman service. Do all of this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

And as an additional point, keep an eye on your credit file. If they have registered any negative information (such as a late payment/ default) then you can also try and ask for that to be removed as part of your complaint as the delay in payment has been caused by their lack of communication. (Please be aware that the removal of this type of information would be discretionary). Good luck

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thanks all, that's great feedback.

Laura - I will do that, thank you. Should I send said letter straight to Barclays, or to the debt collectors on the case? For some reason, they immediately pass the payment collection over to the debt collectors before any communication.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 509 Forumite
    https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/car-finance-voluntary-termination-pcp-hp/

I would urge you to read this. I was in the same boat, but ultimately did not have to pay for excess mileage/wear and tear items, simply by following the advice in this article.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure