Private car sale - buyer unhappy.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Caveat Emptor. Advisories are not fails but merely items that will need looking at at some point before the next MOT because they're showing indications of falling below test standard.
  • Thanks so much for your advice so far.. so updated situation and more advice needed please.

So I stuck to my guns and refused to refund the money. The girl who bought the cars boyfriend has sent me numerous messages threatening to turn up at my house .. I know where you live etc etc. I have reported to the police and left it at that. I told them I want no further contact with them and that they are within their legal right to take me to small claims court.

In between that time I have had their friends/family threatening me on facebook and my name banded about all over social media, calling me allsorts.

Anyway, around 1 week has passed since i last heard from them directly. I know from seeing on facebook marketplace that they have since sold the car.

Today I recieve a message from the buyers boyfriend asking for my full address, date of birth and date of sale. Can anyone advise me if I am legally required to surrender this information if someone wishes to take me to court. I dont want to give my address especially as the threats have been made against me.

I am extremely confident I would ein the case at court. However I dont want something like not providing my address to go against me in court.

Cheers. Also, thanks again for all the responses thus far.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BlackyPFC wrote: »
    Today I recieve a message from the buyers boyfriend asking for my full address, date of birth and date of sale. Can anyone advise me if I am legally required to surrender this information if someone wishes to take me to court. I dont want to give my address especially as the threats have been made against me.
    They had all the information they needed, on the V5C for the car as the previous keeper.

Ignore them.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just ignore him, he sounds like a right fool. Apart from anything else, any dispute is with the buyer of the car, not their friends and family.

Update the police on the latest contact.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    boyfriend has sent me numerous messages threatening to turn up at my house .. I know where you live etc etc.

Today I recieve a message from the buyers boyfriend asking for my full address, date of birth and date of sale.

But he knows where you live and the date of sale! He has no right to any of this information including your date of birth.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I should point out that when he bought the car it was collected from my father in laws as I had sorn the vehicle and he has a driveway.

Also, as they have now sold the car on, I guess they have sent the V5 off and didnt think to take my address before they sent it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ignore them, block them on Facespace.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 5:04PM
    I should point out that when he bought the car it was collected from my father in laws as I had sorn the vehicle and he has a driveway.

Also, as they have now sold the car on, I guess they have sent the V5 off and didnt think to take my address before they sent it.

How stupid of them! That is their problem, not yours.

Also if they attempt to take you to court for the cost of the vehicle, then if they won, the vehicle should be returned to you, which obviously they can't do.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I should point out that when he bought the car it was collected from my father in laws as I had sorn the vehicle and he has a driveway.

The previous keeper's name and address are on the V5C.

Ooops. Their loss. B'sides, if they've sold it on, what are they threatening to take you to court for?
  • I know I thought the same. Imagine buying a pair of trainers, changing your mind, selling them on then going back to the shop for your money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure