The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm perfectly sure the flack isn't deserved, SHS - apart from the fact that you can't *actually* sum up a whole generation in this way, some of it is absolutely vile.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Millenials get a load of flack but I'm not sure it is deserved.

I don't think it's flak as such, but certainly (as an example) the millennials are predicted to have significantly shorter life spans than their parents. When was the last time that happened in this country? The Black Death? I don't even think the Irish Potato Famine had that kind of impact on the stats.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm perfectly sure the flack isn't deserved, SHS - apart from the fact that you can't *actually* sum up a whole generation in this way, some of it is absolutely vile.

Well it's somewhat like "The National Character".

a1406737dd8657c4abd8699d17e5940f.jpg

Possibly true taken with broad strokes, but not on an individual level. Certain characteristics do spread throughout a generation, mainly because a certain way of thinking leads to a greater success than other ways, and success begets success. For example, people in the late 20's and 30's are associated with saving, thrift, mistrust of banks, ingenuity etc, etc. Why? "The Great Depression"

Millennials on the other hand are in an environment more akin to the roaring 20's, with a blend of both the German and American experiences, so their priorities and successes are modified by that.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only saw a bit of the rugger yesterday (on TV) ed - but again, it looked like a good un, with Scotland showing fantastic skill and belief. Very, very watchable. glad you had a good time with Mrs E. That is what life should be about, whatever your age. People are important, plastic boxes..... less so ;)

We're off to Murrayfield next week to see the team play Australia, although we'll be back on the same day so as to relieve our babysitters. It has become something of a grudge match for us, but being Scottish means that any fixture can become a grudge match with minimal provocation :D
    ZTD wrote: »
    Now is the time to start scouting for farm shops (not Farm Shops) and support your local farmers.

And think of the food miles.

What's JAM in this context?

You're the second person who's said that (farm shops) on MSE, chuffed if I know where to find one in Glasgow :think:

I have only ever used Wfoods as a stop off to buy expensive snacks when I have money burning a hole in my pocket, for fancy beer or for odd vegetables that you can't get anywhere else. I'm reasonably well behaved when it comes to food miles. I'll shop for Scottish dairy products, British meat, fruit and vegetables 90% of the time (will actively avoid buying something if it's usually available from the UK but is out of stock that week etc. etc.) The beer miles are probably terrifying due to weight.

JAM is the eternally courted folk roughly in the middle of the income line who will never have a gold Ferrari, but will also never go hungry. Our income never goes as far as I'd like, but much of that is due to lifestyle choices (whether that's where we live, our aspirations, the size of our families or our shopping preferences). Just one of the current acronyms for whatever the middle class is masquerading as these days.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Managed a productive afternoon after getting back from Edinburgh (the coach is brill, £10 for an open return)!
    • Thorough hoover
    • Mopped kitchen and bathroom (just using white vinegar now, seems to clean as well as glow in the dark yellow floor cleaner, a bit of lemon oil or tea tree might make for a nicer smell, but probably not necessary)
    • Emptied bins
    • Had a general tidy and popped some summery things in the attic
    • Made 17 big portions of rilletes with a huge chunk of YS pork shoulder, shallots, bay leaves, thyme, white wine and some YS goose fat from earlier on in the year. Currently chilling in the fridge to be sealed with some more goose fat this evening. Not bad for £4 or so :j
    • Shaved and changed my razor blade (this has become a bit of a 'last shave before payday' ritual) :)
    • Updated the spreadsheets. We have pretty much killed our holiday budget, guess we should stop going on holiday!
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    You're the second person who's said that (farm shops) on MSE, chuffed if I know where to find one in Glasgow :think:

Try this: https://www.bigbarn.co.uk/local-food-map/
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Thanks for that. I had a look, but it's largely the usual Glasgow farmer's markets (a lot of vendors who travel from quite far away) and a few small wholefoods stores. There is a possible idea to explore of a veg box with produce from a heck of a lot closer to Glasgow than I'm used to, so that's well worth looking into. Organic too, which is nice, but not an essential.
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    I think middle aged and middle class pretty much sums up this thread. I'm also willing to admit to fitting quite neatly into the JAM grouping, if that adds any extra comedy? :D

I have no idea what this is, apart from a SUGAR delivery mechanism often spread on bread or toast! ;)
    Yesterday was basically my dream day out.[...]I won't clam it was a cheapo, but what a day :)

Every now and then it has to be done...espscially if it's only your second one in 2.5 years as you said previously!
    Yes indeedy! It is used as an overlay on brown paper when we are brainstorming. We unroll the brown paper, stick it on the table or on a wall and record stuff on it (pens and post-it notes) then overlay it with greaseproof for another set of thoughts or inputs so we can remember who said what, and at what stage. For a woman who likes stationery it is fantastic! :o

Wow - so you don't use if for baking, you use if for business purposes?! *Brain explodes*
    Anyhoo, I'm here to collect my membership no. for the "wrapping paper box" owners club, as I picked mine up from Arg0$ this arvo :D smuggetty smug smug smugness :D:D:rotfl: [very much pulling own leg there!] If it's any help to anyone, the paper inside the box states that it is specifically for 70cm long wrapping paper. If you are a middle-aged don't wanabee, like what I am, and you buy your wrapping paper from h0m3 barg1ns, then the wrapping paper will fit :D I'm thinking brown paper, lining paper and BG's drawing paper rolls will get dumped in there too :D

Can I have the number after you as I am now also the proud owner of a wrapping paper box. *Puffs out chest proudly* Just don't ask about the trauma of getting it home...:rotfl: :eek:

Very, very watchable. glad you had a good time with Mrs E. That is what life should be about, whatever your age. People are important, plastic boxes..... less so ;)

*Inhales sharply* Let's not be getting ahead of ourselves, now :eek:...the wrapping paper boxes clearly have GREAT importance in many people's lives! :rotfl:
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • edinburgher
    Options
    It's a miserable Monday and the spreadsheets have been updated. It's the day before payday so everything is looking a bit bleak, but the picture will improve once we've been paid and the various pots have been topped up :)

£300 paid off the CCs, the card with the smallest balance will be paid off before Christmas :santa2:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Managed a productive afternoon after getting back from Edinburgh (the coach is brill, £10 for an open return)!
    When I moved to this town 7 years ago, all the really good travel deals on the trains disappeared, and the coach doesn't even *stop* here! I miss good coach deals.
    I have no idea what this is, apart from a SUGAR delivery mechanism often spread on bread or toast! ;)
    Yep, I'm still none the wiser :) but they know, don't they :rotfl:
    Can I have the number after you as I am now also the proud owner of a wrapping paper box. *Puffs out chest proudly* Just don't ask about the trauma of getting it home...:rotfl: :eek:

*Inhales sharply* Let's not be getting ahead of ourselves, now :eek:...the wrapping paper boxes clearly have GREAT importance in many people's lives! :rotfl:
    This has become like that thread on Twitter voted best ever, where Doncaster are asking for votes to name their gritting machines :rotfl:
    £300 paid off the CCs, the card with the smallest balance will be paid off before Christmas :santa2:
    Brilliant :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Woohoo - power company have reduced our Direct Debit by £60/month for Jan-May 2018! It will all help to pay down the debts :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback