PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shoe repairs?

Options

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    You may not need the whole sole removed and replaced but a new one stuck on top. Should cost about a tenner depending on where you go. Shoe-repair places are a dying breed, so I think we should support them for as long as we can, or it will be the bin for the old ones and buying new every five minutes.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Decided wear was only lsight so bought some Blakeys from ebay,job done ! I wonder why human shoes tend to wear the heel on the outside back edge first?

It can be a sign that you have a large big toe joint that doesn't articulate properly ... or so I've been told.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Decided wear was only lsight so bought some Blakeys from ebay,job done ! I wonder why human shoes tend to wear the heel on the outside back edge first?

... as opposed to??? guinea pig shoes/alligator shoes/fish shoes? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just had my son-in-laws shoes repaired and a pair of heels cost £9.95 but his shoes were over £100.00 so well worth it as they are his comfy work shoes and he gets them repaired every winter and has had them for our years .
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    ... as opposed to??? guinea pig shoes/alligator shoes/fish shoes? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I suspect "so many" was the intended phrase but that the automated spellcheck sprang into life.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've had the worn heels replaced, is it possible to have the sole of the main boot replaced now? It has worn right through, but the leather frame is intact. If so, what would be a reasonable price? I paid £6 for the heels.
    Sad day in the VfM household. The boots are beyond repair, confirmed by 2 tradesmen :(

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • avnire
    avnire Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know any reasonable shoe-repair man in north London? The heel needs to be changed on both of my ankle boots. I was given a quote for £14 for each pair. For the price of getting the heels done on both I almost could buy a new pair! Any recommendations?
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    avnire wrote: »
    Do you know any reasonable shoe-repair man in north London? The heel needs to be changed on both of my ankle boots. I was given a quote for £14 for each pair. For the price of getting the heels done on both I almost could buy a new pair! Any recommendations?
    AFAIK no such thing exists in London, so do as I do and wait for what you want to appear in Aldi or Lidl.

I bought a low-heeled replacement pair from Aldi for ?£18.99 in the end and they were the most comfortable pair I'd ever worn. My only regret is not buying 2 pairs for now the boots are dead.

Of course I'm happy to be corrected but would expect you to share the love on this forum as and when that time comes!

• pablogo
    Options
    i believe a great service for low budget is difficult, but a reasonable price to quality ratio may be found for instance Shoe Spa (shoespa.co.uk). They are a bit more than traditional cobblers, they restore the entire shoes / boots and can probably advise what's the best way forward in each case :)
    Alternatively you can try shoeandbag.co.uk
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Shoes wear down on the outside of the heel because we are not flat-footed. In fact, if your shoe-heels wear down on the *inside* then you should probably see a podiatrist or physio about the way you walk, because it can lead to major knee problems...

Ideally, your heel strikes the ground with a little more weight on the outside, although all of your heel-back should make contact. Then as your weight moves forward above your foot, you should be rolling onto only the outside edge of your foot being in contact, with the arch of your foot being a spring to deal with pressure and strain, and finally the weight goes across the ball of your foot from the outside rolling across to all of it evenly, before your toes push you hard off the ground to step forward.

Walk barefoot on wet sand come summer - and get a small child to walk as well - then compare, and you'll see what we do to our poor feet over a lifetime! :)

Back to the OP - I do virtually all my own cobbling now. I'm actively only buying shoes and boots which *can* be repaired... I have boots and shoes I've lovingly re-soled and re-heeled, only to have the fake-leather PVC fabric disintegrate from old age, so now it's leather only! I'm slowly gathering some really good footwear, having heels replaced if needs be by Timson's in our local Sainsbury's, and then just keeping on with Blakey's non-metal segs, stick-on rubber soles, and looking after them as well as I can!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure