Child & Co Bankers ?

Options

Comments

• Marchitiello
    Options
    SLZ wrote: »
    Has anyone tried opening an account with Child & Co or Drummonds as it appears that you can select the private banking sort codes of C&C's 16-00-80 and Drummonds' 16-00-50 without issue but will they open the account, I ask as I still haven't opened a new account with them but after discovering you can select the private banking ones after previously not being able to, I'm intrigued as to whether it's worth it for the novelty again.

not sure if you went ahead, but I have just tried to open an account and the "Private" Sort Codes are not available in the Branch Selection list, as they were not before. It could have been a temporary bug that they picked up through this thread (as I believe they have been recently following it).
  • supasaverbob
    Options
    Can you open a Child and Co account if you already have an RBS account with another branch? Can you do it online?
  • Paul_1977
    Options
    Yes you can, you can have accounts at different branches.

All can be done online.
  • Djene
    Djene Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Opened a Select Account with the Drummond Branch 16-00-38. The private one was not there, same as the Child & Co private sort code. Got the card today, standard RBS Contactless card (4751). So I guess you don't get a Drummond debit card.
  • Paul_1977
    Options
    They don't issue DRUM cards, not for a long time, unless you have money and go to branch and say hello.
  • supasaverbob
    Options
    well I applied for a new RBS account and it let me select the child and co branch so we'll see what debit card and chequebook i'll get.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I already bank with RBS and opened a Child & Co account online a month or so ago for the novelty. :p I selected the 15-80-00 sort code on the online application and chose the 1 Fleet Street branch.

Child & Co branded debit card and cheque book arrived but the rest of the correspondence had RBS Private on.

First statement arrived this week and it has the Child & Co logo on.

Account got automatically listed on my RBS online banking. You can see a pic of my Child & Co debit card on the "What's in my wallet" thread.
  • whoevenknows
    Options
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd wade in given that I've been reading this thread with some interest. I am in the midst of potentially opening a Child account and thought I'd relay what I'm learning as I go along.

Indeed, no website. Had to call RBS Private and ask about Childs. Had a helpful RBS guy in a call centre in Manchester arrange a call back from someone at Childs. Childs called me this morning and asked me what I was looking for and told me a little more about the bank.

Essentially, I believe you can get the 'basic account' or a 'black reward account' which I imagine are the regular types of RBS accounts referred to elsewhere on this thread. You only qualify for Private Childs banking and the black rewards account if you earn over £100k, have a mortgage over £300k etc. etc. I think this is the key point of difference. Oddly Childs does seem to exist as simply a branded form of RBS. But it also seems to offer an enhanced, premier version, similar to RBS and RBS Private. Quite why they bother I don't know.

With the Private Childs, you get a personal relationship manager and are invited in branch to meet them. I haven't decided whether it's worth opening an account yet but they are sending me details in the post. However the Childs lady who called me told me that they operate in the same sphere as Adams, Coutts and Holts. Therefore if you have a bespoke request that Childs can't accommodate, they will take you to discuss with Coutts who will likely do it for you. They also provide investment advice and can sell you Coutts products (but they're currently re-assessing their advisory model so this might change). If the material they send gives away anything else interesting, I shall share.

As I (very fortunately) qualify for Private based on income, I'm also looking at Weatherbys and Cater Allen. Does anyone have any views or can refer me to a relevant thread?

Thanks all.
  • AlexPF
    AlexPF Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I must say, Child is excellent.
    I have a black account with them, which I rate highly. Their branch service is excellent (recently refurbished, beautiful) and my relationship manager is one of the best I've ever dealt with. Everything gets sorted quickly.
    The rest is unfortunately RBS, so expect slow transactions update (batch processing during the night) and an average website. However the app is decent.

To answer to the previous enquiry, to get a Drummond card you have to be a private bank client and have an account at their branch. Not many know about the card even within the staff.

Drummonds and Child are sister branches. They share some staff. Holts instead is based in Farnborough and operates on a different model (military bank).

I also bank with Cater Allen (and some others). Their costumer service is awesome, but their online banking is awful. No mobile app. Faster Payments aren't really "faster" (bank giro credits) and take at least one day to appear. They scrapped the deferred element of the debit cards, which was a huge plus for me. The only interesting plus they have is their cash withdrawal limit (£2005 pd).

I suggest Duncan Lawrie as an alternative. Aburthnot Athams if you are a HNWI.

Otherwise the Child&Co (not the RBS) service is awesome :) or Drummonds if you care about the fancy piece of plastic.. the staff will still be awesome.
  • Marchitiello
    Options
    Weatherbys looks to be catering specifically for people involved in horse racing http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4885622&goto=newpost%5C

If you qualify for premium/private banking from most High Street Banks, I would also look at suitability of equivalent accounts from Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC (which have an attached Premium Credit Card with nice benefits).

Also, if the qualifying criteria are met, have you looked into other proper private banks like Arbuthnot Latham, Brown Shipley, C Hoare & Co and Duncan Lawrie?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure