Overpaid Maintenance

I brought my two children up as a single parent and received a pitiful amount of maintenance from my ex wife but now i have received a letter from the CSA saying i have been overpaid by over £400 and they want me to pay it back
My youngest child was 20 in June 2017 and payments should have stopped on her 20th birthday but at no time was i informed of this.
The CSA are saying it is my fault for not informing them my daughter was now 20
I say it is their fault and that payments should have been stopped automatically by them when my daughter reached the age of 20 therefore their responsibility to inform me of the situation.
Has anyone else had this done to them and am i Right? or are they?

Comments

• jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    it is your responsibility to tell CSA about any change in circumstances and this includes child benefit stopping or the child leaving full time education.
    the fact that your case has closed now that the child is overage does not negate the fact that you had money to which you were not entitled.
    you have to pay this back.
    i would call them and make an offer that reflects your financial position rather than wait for them to impose a figure.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Presumably your ex was also aware that your child had turned 20, and also had the option of informing CSA? So is she not equally responsible?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure