Problem Tenant in Northern Ireland

Hi All,
This is being posted on behalf of my Granddad and I am not sure what to advise him.

He is retired and rented his house out for a number of years to a man on benefits, the first few years there were no issues, however last year and so far this year rent has fallen behind by over three months. The continual excuse seems to have been that their benefits have been frozen but it would be corrected soon. Recently my grandfather has contacted the benefit's office who have confirmed that benefits have never been frozen at any point and there should never have been any shortfall. Granddad was told he can get the payments sent to his own account instead as it appears the tenant has been stockpiling his housing benefits and they are due to leave within the next few weeks.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will the housing department allow the rent to be paid into his account? They have advised on the phone that they will but he is worried about tenant interference.

2. How much of the missing rent can he expect to get and will the benefit's office be asking questions as to why rent was not being paid and instead stockpiled?

3. With the tenant due to move (obviously my Granddad wants this) and the money potentially being diverted into his account, will this scupper their leaving?

Any help would be good as I know very little of the Northern Ireland benefit's system.

Comments

• Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes He can ask for The money To be paid Direct to his Account I would do It sooner rather than later ,How do you know the tenant is about to leave ? I would think that unless your Grandfather goes to the small claims he has Little chance of seeing the Arrears.
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    I had a similar situation recently .Both tenants lost their jobs .I told them in week one they needed to claim HB .Week 6 he finally filled in a HB form .NIHE are going to pay me from week 8 but may backdate for another 4 weeks .Female tenant moved to Belgium. I told the male tenant I wanted him out by last Friday ,he agreed .Friday afternoon I had the locks changed .I am still waiting to hear from NIHE how much HB I will get .Then I can claim their deposit .At present I am owed 10 week rent .On the plus side i have a new tenant lined up .If rent is 6 weeks in arrears NIHE will pay the landlord if you ask them.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Test post. Sorry.:D
  • Old_Git wrote: »
    I had a similar situation recently .Both tenants lost their jobs .I told them in week one they needed to claim HB .Week 6 he finally filled in a HB form .NIHE are going to pay me from week 8 but may backdate for another 4 weeks .Female tenant moved to Belgium. I told the male tenant I wanted him out by last Friday ,he agreed .Friday afternoon I had the locks changed .I am still waiting to hear from NIHE how much HB I will get .Then I can claim their deposit .At present I am owed 10 week rent .On the plus side i have a new tenant lined up .If rent is 6 weeks in arrears NIHE will pay the landlord if you ask them.

Thanks, I'm a bit annoyed that this has happened to my Granddad and is almost being backed by the state. He spoke to the Benefit office yesterday for the umpteenth time and asked when he first raised concerns in March 2017 and several times after this why something wasn't done. The Benefit's office advised he may have been speaking to someone at the head office rather than regionally who failed to pass on the message. The head office also didn't make any notes, they have said that they may offer a goodwill gesture in this circumstance but this will follow an investigation.
  • Old_Git
    edited 16 January 2018 at 6:52PM
    Thanks, I'm a bit annoyed that this has happened to my Granddad and is almost being backed by the state. He spoke to the Benefit office yesterday for the umpteenth time and asked when he first raised concerns in March 2017 and several times after this why something wasn't done. The Benefit's office advised he may have been speaking to someone at the head office rather than regionally who failed to pass on the message. The head office also didn't make any notes, they have said that they may offer a goodwill gesture in this circumstance but this will follow an investigation.

you can start eviction procedure at 2 months in arrears .No way should he have let this on on since March 2017 . You can go to the small claims court to recover rent but you need their address if they move before then.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 January 2018 at 8:07PM
    You can go to the small claims court to recover rent but you need their address if they move before then.

Good luck with that!

Me! Bad experirences wih Benefit renters:D

Never again

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Is that really how the benefit system works?

I'm not surprised that a governmental body may have made errors but their apparent lack of interest in correcting thins for your relative is shocking.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Old_Git wrote: »
    You can go to the small claims court to recover rent but you need their address if they move before then.

What happens if they’ve no money?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • The individual seems to have left, taken their keys with them and left the house in an absolute mess - Granddad is currently trying to gain access -such a terrible situation.
  • Old_Git
    What happens if they’ve no money?

you can agree a payment plan .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income