The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    On the plastics subject, we were wondering why there is no enzyme to convert it back to whence it came (i.e. oil) yet. We felt sure somebody clever must be working on it but you never hear anything. I might get DH to look into this (he was an industrial plastics engineer in automotive design for a number of years) as it is a chemical process to produce it so there should be an opposite reaction possible too
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ZTD wrote: »
    Actually it is recyclable. Plastic bags can be easily recycled into fire, and onwards to electricity which can be used all over the house.

Oh I do love the smell of a nice open fire as the carrier bags melt. Said nobody ever.

Hey ho, it wouldn't be the internet if there wasn't a disagreement.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Oh I do love the smell of a nice open fire as the carrier bags melt. Said nobody ever.

You generate electricity from your open fire?

Cool!
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD same here about carrier bags as binliners.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

Managed to pick up some ridiculous bargains at Morrison's last night, £0.25 all in for 4 packets of square sausage and some Cumberland sausages. The square sausage looks to be a bit !!!!!! in the quality stakes, but will make a passable stew gussied up with some onions and gravy ;)

We introduced Mr GG's son to square sausage last month, washed down with Scotland's national drink :T.

I thought you were a culinary expert Ed? How can you consider doing anything with square sausage except dish up up for brekkie or for lunch in a well-fired Scotch roll (with brown sauce obviously) :D
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • ZTD
    ZTD same here about carrier bags as binliners.

Well in a masterstroke of poor timing, someone developed bins specifically designed to use carrier bage just before the announcement.

They're still around, but at 5p per shot, I won't be partaking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/271979308378

I wonder if the "Charity bag" holder is coming next?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gallygirl wrote: »
    We introduced Mr GG's son to square sausage last month, washed down with Scotland's national drink :T.

I thought you were a culinary expert Ed? How can you consider doing anything with square sausage except dish up up for brekkie or for lunch in a well-fired Scotch roll (with brown sauce obviously) :D

I'm a maverick :D

Can go one further with the roll. It has to be a Morton's roll! It should also be eaten with Iron Bru, preferably with a stinking hangover :rotfl:

But that wouldn't be cheap crap, you'd have prepared with something nice, a good steak slice like We Hae Meat :drool:

Edit: mebbe some ketchup.
  • ZTD
    On the plastics subject, we were wondering why there is no enzyme to convert it back to whence it came (i.e. oil) yet.

Although the initial feedstock is crude oil, that oil is broken down into gasses (via "cat cracking"), and it's these gasses which are used for the industrial production of plastics.

The plastics (polymers) are made by joining together the monomers in long chains, so starting with ethene, you end up with what should be called polyethene, but is polythene, as well as propene, you end up with polypropene - there's loads of others, but you see how that goes.

If you were to invent a enzyme to break them back up at some sort of rational temperature (you can break them up right now by setting fire to them), the easy severing of a carbon-carbon bond would lead to all sorts of problems. The carbon-carbon bond holding plastics together, is the same one which holds carbohydrates together, which holds fats together, which holds lignin together and which holds protein/flesh together.

Such an enzyme would dissolve all carbon-based life into goo.

That's not good (IMHO).
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Whilst I suffer no guilt re. environment, I think people are far too quick to throw things away, sometimes due to (perceived) efficiency / environmental issues. Personally, I think materials ending up on landfill sites prematurely is worse than running something slightly less efficient for longer.

Anyhow, what's a square sausage?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • ZTD
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Whilst I suffer no guilt re. environment, I think people are far too quick to throw things away, sometimes due to (perceived) efficiency / environmental issues. Personally, I think materials ending up on landfill sites prematurely is worse than running something slightly less efficient for longer.

Yep, I'd agree with that. Scrappage schemes annoy me no end...
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Anyhow, what's a square sausage?

It's what happens when you frequent some of the less salubrious pubs in Glasgow...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure