PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Budget meals and batch cooking

Options
2»

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Curry:
    Casseroles:
    Soups
    are the top three.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A basic mince in tomato-based sauce can be worked several ways, with pasta (or as a pasta bake), with chilli and beans, as mince and tatties or a pastry or potato topped pie, with polenta etc.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I cook and freeze:
    -soups - yellow split pea, mushroom, tomato, leek and potato, chicken, cullen skink
    -bread - 2 loaves brown soda bread = 24 thick slices
    -scones - 16 cheese scones to have with lunch instead of bread
    -chicken - we have a roast chicken dinner, the meat is stripped and used for curry, jambalaya, chicken pasta pesto, enchiladas, chicken and bacon pie, etc
    -mince beef used for chilli beef; chilli con carne; lasagne; bolognese; burgers; cottage pie etc
    -fish - I poach smoked and white fish in half milk half water, use the liquor as a base for cullen skink and use for fish for fishcakes, soup, kedgeree etc
    -vegetables - I buy whatever's on offer, blanch or cook it and freeze in individual portions
    -stewing beef - I make beef stew in the slow cooker
    -mixed beans - I boil up a huge pot of beans every few months, portion them up into 200g bags and freeze - very handy for adding to soups, stews, casseroles etc
    -every time the oven is on, I make a tray of croutons (loaf ends cubed, sprayed with oil, dusted with salt and pepper), toast nuts (pine nuts for pesto or walnuts for waldorf salad) or dry out breadcrumbs. I bag these up and freeze - can add lots of texture and flavour to simple dishes with no extra effort
    -eggs - frittata and quiche freeze well in portions
    -potatoes - dauphinoise or baked freeze well
    -pies/tarts - meat pies or apple pies and crumbles all freeze well, just heat directly in the oven from freezer.

Lunches are usually soup and salad, bread or scones for whoever wants them. Dinners are usually something from the frozen stuff with freshly cooked veg or veg from the freezer.

I portion everything for the freezer in individual portions, so bits can be pulled according to who's in or out or late or stocking up cupboards for college. I would say I spend two or three hours a week cooking and baking.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Cwtchie
    Cwtchie Posts: 331 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2015 at 11:35PM
    Options
    I use do:
    Lasagnes one large and 6 small for college, lunch etc.
    Bolognese again one large and 6 small
    Cottage pie, same again
    Corn beef pie, cut into 8 pieces
    Curry one large and how ever many small I can get
    Mash, bacon and mush pie, I leave the cheese till I am re heating in the oven
    Veg on offer, cut up and put straight in, in portions
    Homemade bread
    Yorkshire puddings, I make double at least when I do Sunday lunch and freeze individually.
    Fruit from the garden, frozen individually so easy to get a scoop out.
    Soups, chicken, onion and mushroom
    I also buy a lot of milk at a time and freeze that. :)

Also, I cook a gammon piece and slice I then put grease proof paper between slices and freeze, easy to make a quick sandwich.
    £250 shopping, diesel and any other spends
    December 16- January 15 £345.06/250.00 -£95.06
    £2 saving a day for christmas 2017 £0/£730
    Total debt paid off before 26 December 2017 £3142.31/14,053.85 = £10911.54 left to go
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmmmmmm

I buy a joint on whatever special or ys price I can find I can afford and go from there I don't buy just to have if you get what I mean

I've a leg of lamb sitting in the freezer ATM. Bought cheap in December it's way too big for just three of us. When I get a couple of days off together I will defrost it and butcher it myself and then make a roast from one end' slicing the left overs and freezing in gravy for later dinners. The other end will make a curry for six and an Irish stew for six. So a leg of lamb will make at least 18 adult portions That's how I batch cook.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm

I buy a joint on whatever special or ys price I can find I can afford and go from there I don't buy just to have if you get what I mean

I've a leg of lamb sitting in the freezer ATM. Bought cheap in December it's way too big for just three of us. When I get a couple of days off together I will defrost it and butcher it myself and then make a roast from one end' slicing the left overs and freezing in gravy for later dinners. The other end will make a curry for six and an Irish stew for six. So a leg of lamb will make at least 18 adult portions That's how I batch cook.

Similarly I buy large joints when YS/good offer and cut them into smaller joints as I generally only cook for 2 of us. So a large beef joint around Christmas made 4 smaller joints and last week I did the same with boneless pork from Asda at just £2 per kg.
  • flipper_72
    Options
    Batch cooking - in addition to the ones above I do

Gigantes Plaki (from a girl called Jack)
    Sweet potato and pineapple korma
    Chickpea & apricot korma/curry
    Sausage casserole (squeeze the sausage meat out into balls rather than whole)
    Pizza dough and occasionally pre-cooked homemade bases.

But in general I cook more than is necessary and freeze single portions of anything/everything so that everyone can have the meal they like on a no-cook day.
  • Redcurrant
    Options
    I've never found rice dishes freeze that well.

Certain ones are better than others.
    Risotto? Forget it. (Not inedible of course, and better than wasting, but a poor result)

Jambalaya, biriyani and spicy sausage/chicken rice dishes are ok, but I think need to be microwaved, as turning them in a pan mushes up the grains too much

Rice itself freezes fine though, but again, I would probably microwave or stir fry to reheat, rather than add it to anything 'wet'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure