Best way to get a coal/anthracite fire started?

This sounds a very silly question:embarasse
But we have a wood burner/multi fuel stove

Our heating oil has run out and we cant afford to buy more right now, so our only source of heat is the burner in the front room(for the whole house
+ no hot water):(

When we were using logs, we could get it started with fire lighters no problem, but today after using the last of the coal last night, we have bought bags of anthracite (having been told it is better than coal) and I really hate the smell of coal, plus finds it affects asthma, but we cant get the stuff lit!:cry:

We have now used two boxes of fire lighters and been trying for a few hours - it will not burn:huh:
we had trouble with the coal, but at least it would burn eventually, this just wont!
We know the chimney was cleaned last September, the stove has been cleaned out, i make newspaper knots, and we adjust the flew like it says too,but the firelighters will just burn without lighting the anthracite!:wall: but any tips on how you start yours? please!:confused:
:heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button! :heart:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I have an electric firelighter.

They are like a BIG hairdryer which you point at the coal and after a few minutes it bursts into flames - great for barbeques as well.

A pal does exactly the same thing with an electric paint stripper. You just point the nozzle at the coal and again after a few minutes - bingo.
  • dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    You could try a firelighter and half a dozen sticks of kindling, that might get you going.

Wouldn't have bought Anthracite for multifuel burner though.

CPLdistribution only recommend home fire and supertherme (which I use coz it's the cheapest).

Anthracite could be unsuitable which might be part of the problem.
    :think:
  • Not sure if this might help - when you burn wood you normally have the 'top' air vent open and the botton one closed (on a multifuel stove) - when burning coal (or similar solid fuel) close the top vent half way - and open the bottom vent fully. When 'alight' close the bottom vent gradually (fairly low)

As per previous post we use logs and CPL supatherm - can reccommend - we keep the stove in all night (and morning) with the supatherm. Doesnt give out as much heat as logs but maintains a nice warm stove.

In terms of lighting - with the coal, clear out the debris from the bottom of the stove (riddle well!) make sure ashpan is empty - it will fill nearly hourly when burning coal as opposed to wood, plently of kindling (no coal yet) get the whole lot blazing (warms chimney and improved draw then add small amounts of coal in the 'hot spots' - then after about 5 mins add a deep covering (must be deep to burn efficiently) If you look on the CPL websitr there are quite detailed instructions.

Just make sure your multifurl stove is multifuel - some require extra fittings (riddle bars) check the instructions - if it isnt - or doesnt have the right 'bits' you will not succeed!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Having struggled with several solid fuel boilers, woodburners and multi-fuel stoves over the years, I have finally found the answer and it is the product Cardew refers to, above.

It's called a Grenadier and it's exactly what he says - like a giant electric hairdrier. I saw one at a friend's house a few years ago, found their website and recoiled at the price (over £100, the last time I looked). But last autumn I cracked, bought one and have never looked back since.

In fact, if you have to buy kindling (as I have had to do) the £100 + isn't so bad and the ease with which it lights fires (including barbecues and bonfires) is more than worth the cost!

Their web address seems to be www.grenadier.co.uk

Naturally, I'm not connected with them in any way - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Hope that helps!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Having struggled with several solid fuel boilers, woodburners and multi-fuel stoves over the years, I have finally found the answer and it is the product Cardew refers to, above.

It's called a Grenadier and it's exactly what he says - like a giant electric hairdrier. I saw one at a friend's house a few years ago, found their website and recoiled at the price (over £100, the last time I looked). But last autumn I cracked, bought one and have never looked back since.

In fact, if you have to buy kindling (as I have had to do) the £100 + isn't so bad and the ease with which it lights fires (including barbecues and bonfires) is more than worth the cost!

Their web address seems to be www.grenadier.co.uk

Naturally, I'm not connected with them in any way - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Hope that helps!

The one I have is the 1960's version of the Grenadier but is called a 'Best matchless firelighter' It belonged to my Mother in law and is over 40 years old and still going strong. She told me it cost £7!!!

They are simply amazing and can be used as a bellows to get a 'dead' fire going again as well.
  • preston99
    preston99 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Crumpled newspaper then a layer of kindling then coal then light the newspaper. The key is to somehow get air to run through the layers bottom to top.
  • All the tips above seem more suited to normal house coal than anthracite which is just really really really hard to get started! As I type I am trying to get a fire lit in my stove and it's touch and go just with anthracite. The best suggestion I have is to go out and get a bag of normal coal, use this to start the fire (just a small amount - you don't need a mountain of the stuff) then you can add anthracite to that when it's going (this never fails for me).

I may be wrong, but I thought anthracite was just the right stuff for stove use - when I got mine the instructions said not to use normal bituminous coal (too tarry), but as I said, I can't get the fire light without it!

Good luck.
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    I use scrunched up newspaper, with kindling on top, when it goes whooooooosh whack on the coal........... never fails

i can t get on with firelighters.....

Good luck
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • :eek: Firelighters, Electric! you bunch of cheats :rotfl:

twisted and scrunched up newspaper, covered by a lattice of kindling (stacked kind of jenga style but with bigger gaps) then a couple of small logs and finally coal.

The paper lights the kindling, the kindling burns long enough to get the logs to catch, the logs burn long enough to get enough heat into the coal to fire that up.

:T

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    perhaps you've got too much draught going while the lighters are doing their stuff & they're burning out before the fuel's getting the chance to catch?

I used to have a Rayburn & when I'd no papers & kindling, would put the lit lighters in the bottom then quickly add a light covering of fuel, then fully close the flue & the air inlet, leave it for exactly 11 minutes then open everything wide to let the air rush through, let it get well lit, then top up
    dare try any variation of that & it would sulk all day :rolleyes:

I'm not saying precisely that method would work for you, but solid fuel stoves are notoriously temperamental beasts & it can take a bit of trial & error till you find what suits yours best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure