PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 29 June 2017 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Ok I'm declaring my final total as £318.46/£260 so I'm £58.46 over. That will teach me to be so smug after last months success. Good job I don't include alcohol in my budget or I could double it :eek::beer:

I've kept a rough break down of where my money went. Did lots of entertaining this month and lots of bbq's so there was a lot spent on meat. I grow my own salad and some veg which keeps those costs down but there is still so much more room for improvement. Sadly not all my receipts included a breakdown of what was spent where so I've had to guess some. The totals don't add up but the overspend above is correct.

Meat £138.73 (mostly organic local meat)
    dairy £33.91 (I'm on a high fat low carb diet so eat a lot of dairy at the mo)
    soft drinks £10.10 (evil coke for DH and soda water for me)
    veg/salad £40.57 ( I don't think this is right but the receipt is not broken down so I'm just putting it all under here)
    frozen £5.00
    bread £3.41 (I think this should be higher and probably consists of some of the veg salad proportion split)
    treats £21.14 (mainly pizza for DH while I was away and chocci for his packed lunches
    household £22.55
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2017 at 6:56PM
    Options
    BB - Congrats
    amandaatnumber7 - very sorry to hear about your loss.
    Hope everyone else is well.

Well, back from 6 days of gallavanting at Glastonbury - food all catered for and free, and I am the most under budget I have EVER been in all the years I have been doing this. I know it's been a short month for me, as nearly a week was not included, but i'm going to gloss over that fact and keep grinning. All alcohol bought while at the festival (which was a lot !!!!!! I will unashamedely admit) has not been included. Bought some wraps on the way home and some (ahem) alcohol, which have been added to my sig. My veggie drawer is rather reduced, my daughter kindly cleared it out and threw all the stuff that had gone a 'bit soft', swedes, parsnips, carrots etc., have I taught that girl nothing. But hey, she meant well and the place was spotless, so can't really complain. I have enough in, so might just get through to the end without spending any more, clearing store cupboard. Take care everyone. xx
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Well, back from 6 days of gallavanting at Glastonbury...

Wow - what was your favourite bit?

Just realised I will have to go get more sausages as I promised DS a big pile of sausages and mash tonight and only have 2 sausages left grrr. So will have to add £2.50 to the already busted total :mad:

Meal plan this week:
    Sun: one-pot chicken casserole
    Mon: pasta bol, HM garlic bread
    Tues: sausage & mash for DS, LO thai curry for me (everyone else out)
    Wed: chicken pie - oh dear prob need more spuds for wedges...
    Thurs: might be cheese and beans on toast or something with eggs! Time to get creative as FoxFace said!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Well we currently stand at £33.55 over budget.

It does reset tomorrow but I was reading a book about foods that can improve your mental health so went out and bought a few of them from Home Bargains where I was very, very, very excited to see Stardrops on sale so I bought my first ever bottle of that (I was going to spend over £4 on a bottle on Amazon, as I hadn't seen it anywhere else), so that was spends of £10.67..

don't know how much it was in HBargains but I think its £1 a bottle on the Wilco site
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wysiwyg49 wrote: »
    Wow - what was your favourite bit?
    I'm really political so Kate Tempest, she had loads of us in tears, Jeremy Corbyn in the Leftfield, Billy Bragg, Alison Moyet, Ed Sheeran was surprisingly amazing. Radiohead were quite boring I thought. Sorry, there were so many.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :)
    The end of term build up is proving a little crazy so I've been reading when I can but have been terrible at finding time to post:o
    I've kept a spending diary though:j. I'm declaring at £174.80\£170 for my five week month as today is pay day.
    I'm slightly over but I'm very happy with my total as I had a,seriously lucky YS haul last week. I spent £13 on things that were 'off list' but I have three pork joints, two beef and two packs of braising steak in the freezer which will last two months :j:money: I also got 6 tubs of cream at 5p each and turned them into three types of iceream and some butter.
    See you over on July.
    PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    don't know how much it was in HBargains but I think its £1 a bottle on the Wilco site

It was 89p! I was so happy.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just over £30 spent in Morries and Lidl, takes me over budget but should take me well into july.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I spent another 95p of my damage limitation budget yesterday on a packet of pittas and an apple to go with my soup lunch. Obviously I only used one of the pittas not the whole packet! I now have £2.45 left but I'll need to buy some more bananas tomorrow so that'll use a chunk of that. Shouldn't need anything else now before the weekend.
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am declaring my first month at £200.76 - 76 p over budget. £15.89 of that was today and I would have avoided the 76p extra if the dishwasher tablets on offer had not finished before I got to the supermarket! I am very pleased considering I only really started focussing midway through the month.

Next month is unlikely to be this good as I am feeding my 19-year-old nephew all month. Plus my 5-year-old will be on holidays for half the month and need feeding as well. Much planning will be required!

See you on the July thread!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure