PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Comments

• Hi,

I'm sure i've read somewhere I can pad mince out with oats.
    I'm making lasagne & hoping to stretch it to some pasta bake for the freezer.
    Do I just as porridge oats? And how much? Do I do anything to them 1st or just chuck them in?

Thanks,
    Lou x
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi loopy-loo,

I prefer to use red lentils rather than oats as it's easy to overdo the oats and turn it into bolognese flavoured porridge...yes I did do that once! :o For five people I just add a good handful of red lentils and once they cook down they're almost invisible and make no difference to the taste.

These threads have more advice that may help:

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Padding out meals

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • thanks Pink, I've not got any lentils in so will try a few oats after reading the other thread you linked
    Lou x
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Oats work well for us. I just throw in a couple of handfuls as they are. I never weigh or measure lol.

I've also found that soya mince works really well for stretching both beef and lamb mince. The last shepherds pie I made had 300g of cubed lamb (finely chopped) and was bulked out with both soya mince and oats and served hubby & I 4 meals (so 8 individual portions) I was quite pleased with that!

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As P-W has said, I also prefer red lentils. I also add finely chopped celery and carrots (I use a small food processor), which also helps to bulk the mixture out.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Not so sure it would work for Lasagne, but I s-t-r-e-t-c-h my mince out with soup/broth mix, pearl barley or red lentils.

Dried mixed beans (sometimes called salad beans) pre-soaked and cooked, would probably work for Lasagne along with some chopped peppers and mushrooms - but peppers and mushrooms can just add to the overall cost.
  • thanks everyone,
    I had onion, carrots & pepper in the fridge already so used them with 1 bag mince & 2 handfuls oats.
    It made 6 portions lasagne & 3 pasta bake
    Nobody noticed :D
    Lou x
  • canidothis
    canidothis Posts: 226 Forumite
    I cant for the life of me find posts on stretching mince - I wondered what people add to say 250g of mince to make it go further and how many meals can they make out of it.

I added lentils and porridge oats last night but Im more confused to how many tins of tomatoes and liquid are added - btw please move if Im in the wrong place :o
    LBM March 2011 (what on earth took me so long?)
    overdraft (1) -2950 overdraft (2) -246.00
    total CC £12,661 :eek:
    loan £5000
    DFD 2016:eek::eek: (cant come soon enough)
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi,

I make 450g of mince into 5 portions of spaghetti bolognese and 5 portions of chilli just by adding loads of vegetables to the spag bol (whatever is cheapest but at least 1 can of tomatoes and a big squirt of tomato passata).
    I usually add peppers and mushrooms and at the moment courgettes to both of them and then I put 2 tins of kidney beans in the chilli.

HTH
  • canidothis
    canidothis Posts: 226 Forumite
    thanks moorhen - so just to clarify (its a bit early for me:)) you make 10 portions out of 450g and only need to add 1 can of toms?
    LBM March 2011 (what on earth took me so long?)
    overdraft (1) -2950 overdraft (2) -246.00
    total CC £12,661 :eek:
    loan £5000
    DFD 2016:eek::eek: (cant come soon enough)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure