Hogging right lane

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I wish you all the best in your driving career.

Be careful and don't be too critical of others who you feel are breaking the law.

Speed limits are treated with scant regard these days and those who try to stick to them are seen as slow-coaches.

My personal gripe is that I frequently have difficulty in maintaining the legal 70mph on many motorways.

I often find it difficult to pull out to overtake slower vehicles such as trucks, because the right hand lane(s) are occupied by people exceeding the speed limit.

So I'm faced with 3 choices:

1. Slow down and wait for the convoy of speeders to pass.
    2. indicate and pull out - forcing the speeders to brake to avoid hitting me.
    3. Drive above the speed limit myself.

On most motorways the majority of traffic seems to exceed the limit by at least 10mph.

You have that to look forward to.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you saying I should be speeding too?

If it's the norm for drivers to speed in the right hand lane it would make it difficult to move over from the left just before my turn. I prefer not to take the risk.

Where did I say you should exceeed the speed limit?:wink:

I haven't suggested you wait til the last minute to move over, (perhaps if you'd actually read the thread properly you'd have noted that:D) judging when it is appropriate to change lanes without impeding vehicles which wish to make quicker progress than you is something that will come with experience.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Me, if I want to turn right on a 40 road I'll pull over to the right lane in good time; indicating to change lane and then indicating for the right turn; that way everybody knows what I'm up to.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Something I always find a little amusing on threads like this:

Speeding is an objective matter; someone either is, or isn't, above the posted limit.

Lane hogging is, to a great extent, subjective; different people will have different thresholds between a legitimate (say) overtake-and-allow-clearance and a staying-out-too-long.

Yet so many people advise not to "police" speed limits while seeing others "policing" perceived lane hogs with bullying as inevitable.

There's a certain irony in that :D
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    To be honest, in the OPs position, I'd rather be in the outside lane a little bit early rather than staying in the left hand lane a little too late.
    At the end of the day what did the Ops actions cost the impatient pr!ck? A second or two maybe...

People need to chill out a little, driving isn't a competition/race.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    what you do in that situation, assuming you were in 6th gear, is change down from 6th to 4th without braking and then tootle along at at least 10 miles an hour slower than the speed you were doing. Also, do not signal at any point in the manoeuvre.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Johno100 wrote: »
    You say in your OP "I've only been driving a couple of weeks":exclamati

I'd suggest you concentrate on what you are doing on the road before seeking to 'police' the actions of others.

And in what way is op "policing" the road?
    In what way is op not concentrating on her own driving? Bearing in mind as a driver you are expected to have an awareness of your surroundings.

Nothing in the op suggests she did anything wrong. She was doing the correct speed, she was in the correct lane ready for an upcoming turnoff.

Sounds like she had an idiot behind her, simple as that
  • arcon5 wrote: »
    And in what way is op "policing" the road?
    In what way is op not concentrating on her own driving? Bearing in mind as a driver you are expected to have an awareness of your surroundings.

Nothing in the op suggests she did anything wrong. She was doing the correct speed, she was in the correct lane ready for an upcoming turnoff.

Sounds like she had an idiot behind her, simple as that

Has the OP said they're female, or are you just assuming that once again?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has the OP said they're female, or are you just assuming that once again?

I'd assume you picked out that bit because the rest of what he posted was pretty much on the money :beer:
  • Joe_Horner wrote: »
    I'd assume you picked out that bit because the rest of what he posted was pretty much on the money :beer:

I picked it out because I thought it was a somewhat sexist assumption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure