Halifax TMP

mentormum
mentormum Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 May 2012 at 4:51PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hi All
I need some advice.
Took out a Halifax mortgage in 2003 was sold TMP (excluding life cover element).
Was told we needed it incase we were made redundant so that Halifax wouldn't repossess.
We had good jobs with potentially good redundancy packages and good sickness benefits (but looking at the documents have critical illness cover)
Still have mortgage and still paying TMP average £60 per months for over 9 years.
Does this sound like a possible claim and should I cancel my cover?

Comments

• mentormum
    Just wondering ig anyone else has been in the same position as this andwhat the outcome was

Thanks for reading
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2012 at 4:40PM
    Does this sound like a possible claim and should I cancel my cover?

You have given no reason for complaint. Everyone has a good job until they do not. That said, Halifax do seem to be still auto paying out on the MPPI element but they wont auto pay out on the CI element and nothing you have said indicates any wrong doing on that front.

No-one is going to tell you to cancel your policy because what if you suffered a claimable event after cancelling it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mentormum
    Hi thanks for the info, im thinking that the fact that our employers had good sickness benefits thst we wouldnt have needed the ci cover equally ive looked at the t&c of the mortgage offer and it doesnt state that ppi is compulsary.
    Do you think its a case for a claim?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    im thinking that the fact that our employers had good sickness benefits thst we wouldnt have needed the ci cover

Very few employers offer a group CI scheme. They do exist but is yours a CI scheme or income scheme? CI is a lump sum payment on diagnosis of a range of specified critical illnesses.

There are very few CI complaints and the PPI issue doesnt apply to CI. So, you do need a valid complaint reason. Typically the ideal level of CI cover is seen to be around 4 times income plus debts. However, that is just a guide.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mentormum
    I decided to make a claim based on the points i raised above and have had anOFFER OF JUST UNDER £8000!
  • dazzler44
    dazzler44 Posts: 106 Forumite
    put in a claim against the mis sell of the asu element, this was on the 8th of june....got a call today asking further questions and the guy said we should here pretty quickly......not optimistic tbh, think we have fallen outside the auto payout policy deadlines.....you may have had more fortune than ourselves i dont know....we never quibbled CI part of it, just the ASU, we had similar circs to yourself by the sound of it......well done on your success, great to see :beer:
  • mentormum
    thank you we thought the same that but went ahead any way we put in our claim on 5th May so dont lose hope.
  • dazzler44
    mentormum wrote: »
    thank you we thought the same that but went ahead any way we put in our claim on 5th May so dont lose hope.

i will buy a very large and expensive bottle of champers and toast you if we do get anything back !!
  • dazzler44
    mentormum wrote: »

did you get a phonecall checking info from the halifax before your success ?
  • mentormum
    yes i did just explained my reasons again, it sounded a bit like she was reading from a script. chase them up myself after about 7 weeks and they gave me the goid news over the phone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure