Working part-time while claiming Housing Benefit?

Hiya everyone :p

Well i got made redundant from my job without any redunancy money in the beginning of February.
Iv just been signed onto Jobseekers Allowance and have applied for Housing Benefit/Council tax Benefit
I dont know how much Housing Benefit im going to be entitled to as they said it will take a few weeks to calculate:eek: and my rents due next week:mad: And i dont have the money to pay it

My question is- if i work part- time will i still be entitled to the same Housing Benefit?I dont particularly want to be unemployed and on JSA but theres not many full time jobs available for someone with my skills at the moment in my area, however there is a few part time ones.

Is there a certain amount you can earn or a certain number of hours you can work under while still being entitled to Housing Benefit?I obviously dont want to make myself worse off than what i already will be but id rather be working something rather than nothing for the meantime.

Sorry im not great at writing my literacy is quite bad so hope you can make sense of what im asking! Any advice given would be really appreciated! :D

Comments

• mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Earning any sort of income could well affect your Housing Benefit claim, have you tried looking on your local council website under Housing, then do their Online Benefits calculator?
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • Yes is the answer, working 16 hours will reduce the amount of HB/CTB you receive comapred to what you get whilst on JSA.

If you have a roungh idea of what you'll be earning then mumoftwins has made a very good point - use your council benefits calculator. But remember that if working 16 hours you may possibly entitled to WTC as well - so this will effect your entitlement.
    :j
  • Try a calculation on

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • Its not always that accurate ( so i have been told/ heard), Not used it myself though. It would be best to try her local LA website in addition to that as all the applicable Local housing allowance rates for her area will be built into it as well.
    :j
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there. Just wanted to say that it isn't the number of hours that is important but factors such as your age and personal circumstances are.

It is difficult to say what difference part time work would make as you haven't said much about whether you are single, have kids etc. All of this does make a difference.

If in doubt, I would contact your Local council and ask them to do a manual calculation for you. They would need details of your proposed income such as hours of work and hourly rate and they would give you an approximate amount.

Most LA's also have a calculator on the website, I know mine does so I would say check their website first!

Good luck
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure