Signing off electrical work

If I were to have electrical work completed in my house, including fuse box and re-wiring the kitchen by someone who wasn't able to sign it off......, what would my options be if and when we sold the house?
Could I:
1. Take out an indemnity policy on the work?
2. Ask another electrician to sign it off?
3. Deeply regret not getting the work done 'properly' in the first place?

I am sure I remember reading something about paying the council to sign it off. However, I phoned them re the subject and they didn't have a clue about doing this for privately owned homes.

Any constructive suggestions?

Comments

• newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi get a part p electrician if in england and wales too much hassle if u dont trust me i work as a self employed sparky and the people who try and get me to sign of work is amazing
    have it done properley but get 3 or 4 quotes and if ur willing to help with chasing walls etc tell them which shoul;d keep costs down
  • wafers
    wafers Posts: 91
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The guy should be Part P by early next year. He's in the process at the moment. However, there is always the slight chance that this may not happen, which is my only concern...
    Funnily enough, I've chased out the walls this weekend, so first fix should be fairly hassle free.....
  • Tr1pp
    Tr1pp Posts: 277 Forumite
    chances are you will not get another electrician to sign off someone elses work, why would they, its their !!! on the line, even if they do check every bit of wire themselves.

Im assuming your considering using a friend who knows about electronics and will work cheap but isnt formally qualified?

If the above is true forget the indemnity policy option and just pay the extra to get it done by someone qualified AND able to sign it off. If i were buying a house with electronics not signed off I would either walk away or offer a massivley lower price regardless of indemnity insurance.
  • wafers
    Forumite
    No, the chap works in industrial electrics, but did all his training on domestic. He's in the process of setting up his own business, but I had the opportunity to get in early....
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Why not notify Building Control and get them to issue the certificate?
  • wafers
    Forumite
    jc808 wrote: »
    Why not notify Building Control and get them to issue the certificate?
    How does this work? Do they need to see the finished job. or monitor during the process? Any idea on fees and the like?
  • wafers wrote: »
    How does this work? Do they need to see the finished job. or monitor during the process? Any idea on fees and the like?

They do it over 2 or 3 visits. Will cost you though & the paperwork still needs to be filled in at completion & testing.

But if your "mate" was anywhere near completion of his qualifications he would know it.
    Not Again
  • wafers wrote: »
    The guy should be Part P by early next year. He's in the process at the moment. However, there is always the slight chance that this may not happen, which is my only concern...
    Funnily enough, I've chased out the walls this weekend, so first fix should be fairly hassle free.....
    Discretely enquire with the council the likely cost of their inspection or regularisation. Withhold that money from your sparky until he can give you a cert.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Discretely enquire with the council the likely cost of their inspection or regularisation. Withhold that money from your sparky until he can give you a cert.

This is exactly what I tried. I phoned the council and asked if they could check an electrical install for a fee. They scratched heads for a while and said they hadn't heard of that before?
  • We had our work done by someone who was Part P qualified but new. He needed to get the work signed off by the local council at an additional cost of £250 who came round and inspected it no hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure