£5000 overdraft

Currently my OD with Natwest stands at £5000, in the past 5 or 6 years, I have been into my overdraft by £7 once in January 2009.

I'm thinking the OD amount is ridiculously high considering the above and the fact that I earn about £1900 a month on average.

I guess what I'm really asking is 1/ Is it really high considering my earnings and 2/ should I ask them to reduce it, or is there no real harm in having an OD of this amount.

Thanks

Comments

• vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Just my opinion:

Reduce it. Why?

1. less risk of losing large amounts of money to fraud
    2. Less likely to be tempted to get into a spiral of debt.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    Currently my OD with Natwest stands at £5000, in the past 5 or 6 years, I have been into my overdraft by £7 once in January 2009.

I'm thinking the OD amount is ridiculously high considering the above and the fact that I earn about £1900 a month on average.

I guess what I'm really asking is 1/ Is it really high considering my earnings and 2/ should I ask them to reduce it, or is there no real harm in having an OD of this amount.

Thanks

Considering your monthly income this does seem like a very generous overdraft limit. Like Vaporate says if ever your card was cloned a fraudster would have access to all that extra cash. From what you say a £200 limit would suffice.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • mclaren32
    mclaren32 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    fozmcfc wrote: »

Thanks

You are in a similar position to myself and I like the security of having access to funds at the drop of a hat even though I never go over the interest free part of my o/d, £250.

If you are sensible with money and monitor your account on a regular basis I see no problem with having a large facility available.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also, remember, you cannot just lower an existing limit. They'd cancel your current O/D and would re-credit check you for the new proposed amount.

If your credit rating has changed, you may find you lose the facility altogether..... just a thought....
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • kaisersoze_2
    kaisersoze_2 Posts: 307 Forumite
    simax wrote: »
    Also, remember, you cannot just lower an existing limit. They'd cancel your current O/D and would re-credit check you for the new proposed amount.

If your credit rating has changed, you may find you lose the facility altogether..... just a thought....

Is this a Natwest thing? I have reduced an overdraft with Halifax online, so long as the account is in credit i can reduce it to whatever i like instantly.

Why would they credit check you to reduce an overdraft?
  • iereboy
    iereboy Posts: 415 Forumite
    Yeah is that a natwest thing?

With Lloyds I can reduce my overdraft anytime I like and no credit check is involved at all!
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    simax wrote: »

I totally agree so you need to be sure your equifax and experian credit reports are okay before making any decisions OP.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for the advice.

My credit status is at least good, as I've been able to get 3 0% credit cards over the past 12 months.

My credit reports show everything to be paid/clear/up to date etc...etc...

Up until January 2009, I was bad with money, even though I never failed to pay the required minimum at least to all my debts, I still had no savings, but decided enough is enough and to sort myself out.

Had a great year of saving and shifting debt around to cheaper debt. As per my signature I will clear the 2 credit card balances I have and one of my loans by September.

Not wishing to tempt fate, but unless I lose my job, I don't foresee myself ever using the O/D and even then, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near £5000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure