PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• I could do with some advice as fear I have taken on too much. I have a single oven - grill at the top style. Hubby gets a turkey from his work, good quality bird around 8-9 kilos so approx 6 - 6.5 hours to cook on xmas day. My mum has also bought a double rib of beef, so 3 - 3.5 hours to cook on xmas day. I have 13 or 15 to feed so need large joints.

My first thought was to cook turkey, then cook beef, have both out then leave an hour to do roasties etc. Hubby will not contemplate frozen roasties BTW! Is there anything I can do to keep the turkey hot for c.4hours whilst everything else cooks.

I'm sure last years turkey took up most of the oven so I'm not sure I can fit both joints in whole together - but I will check tonight to see if its feasable.

The only other alternative I can think of is to reduce the size of the bird somehow. Is it possible to joint it before cooking it? My family like dark meat as well as white, so I would have to cook 1 leg and at least 1 breast - can you cook half a bird?

I have to work xmas eve, so cooking then and carving/ reheating is not an option - it has to be all in one go. Any advice or ideas I would be very grateful for. Oh how I would love a range cooker but there just isn't room :p
  • ok depending on how you like the beef and when you're serving the meal, i'd get up early, cook the beef to rare-medium and then get the turkey in.

can your mum/hubby not cook the beef the day before?
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• onestep
    onestep Posts: 893 Forumite
    First Post
    It's very possible to joint a turkey - check youtube for examples. You'll need a very sharp knife!

If it was me, I'd cook the turkey overnight if it's going to take that long to cook, and then rest for an hour before carving, and covering. Meantime you can cook the beef/roasties. Once you're almost ready to serve I'd sprinkle the carved turkey with a little water, and then put in the oven again to reheat (or zap, depending on your preference).

Do you really need to do the beef joint on Christmas day? Couldn't you do that on Boxing Day? Just a thought.

HTH

Onestep
    When people show you who they are, believe them the first time
  • exup
    exup Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    ask a neighbour perhaps? or how about any of the people coming round to cook a joint and bring it round?
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll not be of much help as I'm catering for two which includes me :D

I know you said that you are working on xmas eve, but could someone else supervise the cooking of the turkey on that day? then carve up and reheat as you said.
  • If you are contemplating doing some of the cooking over night please make sure your fire alarms work.

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I saw my late mother cut a turkey in half many years ago when there was only 4 people for dinner.....right through breast and back bones, which meant that you have one side of breast and one leg etc.

IMO a large turkey of 8-9kg will more than feed your table for Christmas day, so you should have plenty of meat if you just do the turkey. If you want both, the suggestion of cooking the beef first is a good one I think.

Have just consulted my bible according to St Nigella and her recommendation for a 9kg turkey is to cook it unstuffed at 200c for 3 and a half hours...turkey must be at room temperature when it goes into oven. She advises that it be given 20-40 mins resting, tented in foil, before carving. If bird is stuffed add the weight of stuffing to weight of bird to calculate cooking time.

HTH

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Can't your mum cook the beef and bring it with her?

Incidentally it's all very well having people tell you "Cook this, cook that, I don't want it done such and such a way" but really, either they let you cook your way or you tell them they can cook, surely? If Hubby won't eat something that will make the difference between a cooking plan that works and one that doesn't, make him some boiled potatoes.
    Val.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you cook the turkey on Christmas Eve - maybe steal a couple of slices for supper?
    Then Christmas Day, cook the beef in the morning, leaving plenty of time to do the roasters and stuffing :)
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    i'd go with the nigella timings - not let me down yet

Beef I'd cook for 40m a kilo so even a 4kg joint would take less than 3 hours
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport