Carpet fitting costs

We are looking at replacing 2 flights of stairs, small bedroom ensuite and landing. We had an estimator round and he worked it out at 45 sq metres. My husband had pre-worked it out and it wasn't far from his estimate. We are shocked by the fitting charge. It appears that we are being charged a 'sur charge' for fitting the second flight of stairs. Now, this doesnt sound right to me. Has anyone got any idea how much this should cost? I will try and get a indpendent quote if I dont hear back from anyone. They reckon 250 pounds fitting. Many thanks.

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I should get another quote - we had our stairs and landing done 19m2 of carpet - fitting charge £71.25. So on that basis yours is at least £100 over the top! (Although clearly we'd expect a competant fitter to do it, ours was not a simple job - our stairs have a change of direction, and the carpet was one with bold stripes in it that had to be laid absolutely square otherwise it would have been obvious as it went down the stairs. The finish is absolutely spot on so we're not talking cheap bodge fit of a plain carpet here!)

This was from a local independant shop not a big chain.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    my hall, stairs and landing, cost 50 quid to fit.
    Get some gorm.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    There's plenty of competition out there in the carpet supply and fitting world. Just get some more quotes/estimates.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Stairs are the most complicated of all carpets to do. however, there is probably a mornings work to do all that for a fitter and a lad, so £250 is OTT. Remember that the shop will be marking up the fitting costs and making a profit from it.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Our stairs and top landing were £70.00 to fit.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My OH and i went looking for some flooring, (wood or laminate) we found some we liked and asked for a fitting estimate.

We were absolutely horrified to be told it would be £10 a square metre to fit it. It seemed way over the top'
    Bearing in mind how may square yards a fitter could do in an hour he'd be on a pretty good hourly rate.
    And also bearing in mind we are laying over 30m2 it was more than we wanted to pay.

Strangely enough, the fitters only charge £2 a square metre for laying carpet.

We're going to do it ourselves, we did do a bedroom a while ago and made not too bad a job of it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Id say its OTT, Ive just been quoted £75 for a full flight of stairs with a turn, the landing and a second flight of stairs with 2 turns. This was with a local independant carpet shop.
  • £3 sq m is about the normal charge for fitting, but a stair isn't ' normal ' some can charge £4 sq m for a stair , £250 is a bit steep though maybe somewhere closer to £165-£185 .
  • Thanks for all your help. I have contacted a local fitter who quoted me 160 pounds (sorry pound sign not working!). Then surprise, surprise had a phonecall from the original carpet shop who offered to fit for 159 instead of the original 209. As I had made it clear to the estimator that I was less than impressed with the 'surcharge' Still going to look around before making a final decision.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    quick tip.
    goto any carpet shop at 8am. you will see the fitters loading up their vans. for the days work.
    ask them to come and see you & to quote you for the job.
    nearly all of them are self employed.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family