PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2011 at 11:35AM
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know where/how I can learn to knit for free?

I've taken a book out of the library but I'm not sure it's going to work out that well as I'm struggling with the casting on bit!

I really want to be able to knit things for my daughter but at the moment we are having to rely on my grandmother who lives too far away to teach me. :(

If there is a knitting group in your area I'm sure someone there would be happy to teach you - in my experience members are always keen to spread the word.

Other than that there are loads of video tutorials on Youtube which are aimed at complete beginners and so are very easy to follow. Try this one for casting on.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know where/how I can learn to knit for free?

I've taken a book out of the library but I'm not sure it's going to work out that well as I'm struggling with the casting on bit!

I really want to be able to knit things for my daughter but at the moment we are having to rely on my grandmother who lives too far away to teach me. :(

The book that I learnt from is called Stitch and B1tch. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stitch-!!!!!-Handbook-Instructions-Generation/dp/0761128182/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295177560&sr=8-1 It's really good and the diagrams are really clear. Also they show lots of different ways of casting on so if one doesn't work for you you will be able to find a different one that suits you better.

Also the Knit Witch videos on you tube are really good and all free.

Sometimes shop assistants (where you are buying your wool from) will be able to help or they might know where a local knitting group meets.

On ravelry.com you could search the forums/groups for groups near you too.

HTH

Good Luck!
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Susan946

The wool for the hat is self patterning;)

I can't post a link to the Mug Cosy pattern, but if you PM me with your email address I can help :p

Your makes sound wonderful by the way - do you have pics?
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I learned to knit from this book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitty-Gritty-Knitting-Absolute-Beginner/dp/0713685425/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295184135&sr=1-1

I occasionally looked at videos on youtube as well but often found the book clearer.
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    I have to stitch the buttons on the baby jacket I made and then I'll take a photo and post it. In the meantime here is a photo of the knitted and felted bag I made for a friend as a Christmas present. I don't know whether anyone else has tried felting but I have found it quite easy to do. The pattern and wool (you have to use pure wool) are from Bev Beattie.
    Her web site is http://www.knitting4fun.com/ and the pattern came from her book Knit'n'felt bags.

Oh dear - I haven't been able to post a photo. Can anyone help?

Sue
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just a quickie:
    my cape:
    PIC_7311_medium.JPG
    More pics on ravelry xx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Just a quickie:
    my cape:
    PIC_7311_medium.JPG
    More pics on ravelry xx

Ooh my word that is gorgeous :T
    Luv Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have just started knitting a sock following Silver's tutorial. It seems to be going ok so far and easier than I thought once I'd done a couple of rows. My question is the wool I'm using was a ball I'd used for something else so wasn't a full ball. I've now come to the end of the ball and wondered whether you can add a new ball when knitting socks and if so the best way of doing so.

I'm hoping I can as I'd hate to have to start again.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    lynseydee- when I need to add a new ball when knitting in the round, I knit with the old thread, catching the new one behind it, then with both threads for a few stitches...the old and the new ball, then just with the new thread knitting a few stitches catching the old thread behind. I then don't need to sew in the tails very much and they aren't so obvious from either side.

Hope this helps, sorry if I've not been very clear

Orkney...your cape is wonderful...is the pattern on Ravellry??

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2011 at 10:26PM
    Not sure whether this will work but here is and attempt at posting a photo of my bag

December272010002.jpg

No - it doesn't look good. Have to think of something else!!

Wow!! success Thank you Cuddles

Sue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport