IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Speeding Ticket

Tamiya_Widow
Tamiya_Widow Posts: 182 Forumite
edited 21 October 2014 at 6:35PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Not to sure if l am posting this on the right part of the forum.
I was driving someone elses car nearly two months ago and they have had a speeding ticket issued that l know was me. The penalty notice has to be completed by the registered keeper and no one else to say it was not them driving and giving the police my details. Dispite reminding the the registered keeper has still not completed this.
Not sure what happens as l know that they will finally get round to giving the police my details, its not that they won't l think they just keep forgetting and are busy. How long after the offensense can the police come back to me. Its not my choice not to pay the fine its just l cannot till the police send me the penalty notice direct.
Any advice would be welcome
Tamiya Widow

Comments

• esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2014 at 6:23PM
    If they dont give the details "they" will be in trouble not you for failing to furnish which is a fine of up to £1000 and a mandatory 6 points. Depending on the speed and where it happened if they furnish your details it may be a speed awareness course or a FPN for £100 and 3 points for you.

It may already be too late but they need to act ASAP, if they don't then the police have 6 months to lay a summons to court.

Whatever happens the best place for help with these is http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

However they need to help themselves urgently first.
  • I was doing 40 in a 30 so l know that it will be a speed awareness course or a fine and points, my excuse was the kids playing up and me then having to rush to work. I hold my hands up to the penalty and l know that 'they' have had a warning letter. Was just wondering what happens to me the longer this goes on
    Tamiya Widow
  • What happens is that the registered keeper ends up in deep do-do for failing to provide the driver's details. If they 28 days they have to reply have elapsed, then it's probably too late for them.

What YOU do is absolutely nothing. All you can do is wait and see. Unfortunately their delay may mean you are not within time to opt for a speed awareness course in lieu of points, but there's nothing you can do about that.

If it drags on for 6 months, then they can't do you at all. But if you do end up with a S.172 form from the police, you must return it in time.
  • esmerobbo
    Forumite
    If they get a summons for Failing to Furnish then nothing will happen to you.

They have 28 days to respond to the NIP giving the drivers details. If they don't then it is them in the dooda!
  • Tamiya_Widow
    Tamiya_Widow Posts: 182 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2014 at 7:02PM
    The offense was the 26th August so 28 days has elapsed.
    Tamiya Widow
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,376
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The 28 days to nominate is from the date they get the notice, not the date of the speeding offence so may not be that far over yet.

Some forces will also issue reminders to give the keeper a second (or even third) chance to name the driver - so things may still work their way through to you eventually.
  • The penalty notice was dated the 29th August and l know that l have seen one reminder arrive. Just wish l could get it sorted as it's hanging over me but l cannot force them to fill the forms in plus its my boss!!
    Tamiya Widow
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Hi TW

I can understand your concern but as has already been explained there isn't actually anything legal hanging over you at the moment. Until such time as the registered keeper (RK) nominates you as the driver then the system does not know of your involvement.

Seriously though the RK is not only risking a mandatory 6 points and a hefty fine often the worst aspect of such a conviction is as a result of the MS90 endorsement code on their licence. Insurance companies do not like this endorsement and besides substantially loading premiums some have been known to refuse to renew policies and even rescind them. This could cost the RK a great deal more than a fine.

The fact that they may have received a reminder should be a wake-up to them. Many forces do not issue reminders as a matter fo course and unless the RK deals with this quickly the next thing they are likely to receive is a summons. As there should be no cost in this situation for them - all they need do is to simply provide you name and address etc - one wonders why they are not dealing with it?

I'd suggest its time to give them a bit of a shake and tell them to get on with it.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • esmerobbo
    Forumite
    Is the vehicle registered to a person or a company?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure