Natwest Technical Issues

Comments

• tjimbson
    tjimbson Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 21 June 2012 at 2:33PM
    Guys it's an absolute joke which is affecting everyone, not a small portion of customers.

We're due to exchange contracts on a property this week but due to a local branch error (they never faxed over the documentation to the central mortgage team for a week!) and now this system error we are likely to lose our property and £1000 deposit. All we are being told is 'we cant do anything until the system is back'. They cant bring up any details associated to our mortgage application.

Speaking to a Natwest mortgage advisor he has told me (off the record) he has been instructed to clear his diary until next Wednesday! I think the worst of this issue has yet to come.

My partner banks with Natwest and I can honestly say this is the most unprofessional, unsensitive banking institution I have ever dealt with. For the majority of the last 48 hours I have been sitting on the phone being re-directed to countless Natwest employees, all of which can only sit on their hands and wait. We stand to lose so much due to their negligence and lack of ownership.
  • Our local branch only opens 10-2, so it's main branch only for us. I've sent a tweet asking if they will compensating customers? I'm still awaiting my tax credits but luckily always have a contingency of a small amount of cash at home but my ex (who is on JSA and with Natwest) hasn't got anything to work with, he's run out of food, electric etc. He approached his local branch and staff were really rude and told him to go an apply for a giro!!
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lolavix wrote: »
    Can people honestly nt find enough money to survive a day? I always have £20 or so incase this happens.

I think the banks are in enough debt without having to pay out compensation.

The option is there to withdraw up to £300 in branch. I can't obviously comment on some branches thy have closed, and any branch that refuses needs to read he email they would have been sent this morning

I dont think the bank will pay out much compo on this one.

They will be referring to the T&Cs in alot of cases.

14.7 Availability of the Service

14.7.1 While we will make reasonable efforts to provide the Service, we
    will not be liable for any failure to provide the Service, in part or full, for any
    cause that is beyond our reasonable control. This includes, in particular, any suspension of the Service resulting from maintenance and upgrades to our systems or the systems of any party used to provide the Service.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    tjimbson wrote: »
    Guys it's an absolute joke which is affecting everyone, not a small portion of customers.

We're due to exchange contracts on a property this week but due to a local branch error (they never faxed over the documentation to the central mortgage team for a week!) and now this system error we are likely to lose our property and £1000 deposit. All we are being told is 'we cant do anything until the system is back'. They cant bring up any details associated to our mortgage application.

Speaking to a Natwest mortgage advisor he has told me (off the record) he has been instructed to clear his diary until next Wednesday! I think the worst of this issue has yet to come.

My partner banks with Natwest and I can honestly say this is the most unprofessional, unsensitive banking institution I have ever dealt with. For the majority of the last 48 hours I have been sitting on the phone being re-directed to countless Natwest employees, all of which can only sit on their hands and wait. We stand to lose so much due to their negligence and lack of ownership.
    There is a contingency in place for people completing this week. I don't think I can give out the number as it is an internal one but if you speak to the mortgage advisor again they should be able to take the case on and get it sorted. This update has only come out in the last few minutes so they probably weren't aware of it last time you spoke to them.

You are correct that mortgage advisors have been asked to reschedule appointments up until next Wednesday, for new applications. The mortgage application system is not related to the main banking system though.
  • lynn1967
    lynn1967 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 June 2012 at 2:54PM
    just been on online banking abit of sucsess this time on accounts overview doesnt show updated account but if you try on your account to statements and click on trnsactions this week myn came up with 21st june tax credits on there for today this may put some peoples minds at rest if they have bills going out and weather there benefits payments are there so somthings moving as could not do this earlier
  • I'm not expecting them to compensate people for this BUT I feel they could have handled it better by admitting there are a large number of customers affected, a time of when things will be fixed by (or at the very least better updates) and a blanket policy on whether people can withdraw credits or not.

I was lucky as I when I popped in the staff were helpful but I know from here and from my ex, others haven't been so lucky.

I think I would be more inclined to be patient if they said service will be resumed tomorrow rather than 'in a few hours'
  • mumof2:D
    mumof2:D Posts: 77 Forumite
    I don't even want compensation,I just want my money to be able to buy things that should of been brought today! You trust a bank to keep your funds safe and you can't even access them!!

No wonder my grandad kept all his money under his bed!
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    stclair wrote: »
    I dont think the bank will pay out much compo on this one.

They will be referring to the T&Cs in alot of cases.

14.7 Availability of the Service

14.7.1 While we will make reasonable efforts to provide the Service, we
    will not be liable for any failure to provide the Service, in part or full, for any
    cause that is beyond our reasonable control. This includes, in particular, any suspension of the Service resulting from maintenance and upgrades to our systems or the systems of any party used to provide the Service.

If these are from the online T&C, surely the 'Service' they are referring to in this instance is the online banking service?
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    lynn1967 wrote: »
    just been on online banking abit of sucsess this time on accounts overview doesnt show updated account but if you try on your account to statements and click on trnsactions this week myn came up with 21st june tax credits on there for today this may put some peoples minds at rest if they have bills going out and weather there benefits payments are there so somthings moving as could do this earlier

Same here. Tax credit payment in and a direct debit out are both showing up on my statement now but still not my balance
  • Just logged on and saw this:

Important Information for our customers - message timed at 14:45

We continue to experience technical issues which means that account balances have not been updated and yesterday's balance is still being displayed. We recognise this has caused significant inconvenience for our customers and has impacted many of our services.

We are doing everything we can to resolve this issue and will keep you informed of our progress.

Customers who are affected can access cash at local branches, and staff at our call centres are also ready to answer questions and help where they can.

We will be keeping over 1,000 NatWest branches in all major towns and cities open until 7pm tonight to assist customers who are unable to get to their branch during working hours
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure